Aero Precision - Premier C130 Aftermarket Support

DC10FE

No-flap takeoff?

DC10FE

Does anyone know if any data exists for a no-flap takeoff on the Herc?  Lockheed?

Thanks,

Don R.

Fred

Yes. Procedure published for three-engines, maximum effort, and flaps-up takeoffs. So, performance data is published in the T.O. 1C-130-1-1 and I would expect also the SMP 777.

DC10FE

Thanks, Fred. It's been a while. Never thought to look in the 1-1.

Don R.

BRlang

How bout 100% flaps. Did one on accident. Dirt strip up close to Cambodia. Landed and taxied onto the ramp. No forklift and nobody met the plane. Figured the field was hot. Did a speed off load and taxied back onto the runway in one quick move. I was still closing the ramp and door when we started engine run up and soon as the door closed light went out AC released the brakes. I held on to the left paratroop door and away we went. Normal takeoff until we got to about 50 kts. then hard to accelerate but then we just jumped onto the air. Your pretty much committed to fly off a 2700" strip. Ain't no stopping at that point. Everybody missed the flaps in before takeoff.  

Herb

Have also performed this “procedure”.  After doing many night max efforts at DYS, we taxied, lined up, and cobbled the power.  Just like the Buffs, off we went.   Second time we had some outside motivation from the locals.   

DC10FE
20 hours ago, BRlang said:

How bout 100% flaps. Did one on accident. Dirt strip up close to Cambodia. Landed and taxied onto the ramp. No forklift and nobody met the plane. Figured the field was hot. Did a speed off load and taxied back onto the runway in one quick move. I was still closing the ramp and door when we started engine run up and soon as the door closed light went out AC released the brakes. I held on to the left paratroop door and away we went. Normal takeoff until we got to about 50 kts. then hard to accelerate but then we just jumped onto the air. Your pretty much committed to fly off a 2700" strip. Ain't no stopping at that point. Everybody missed the flaps in before takeoff.  

Yep, did it a couple of times with Transafrik in Angola -- not on purpose, of course!

Don R.