We Got Some Splaining to Do

MHeflin

The reporter made more of it than it really was, like they were not strapped in. Those two had their monkey straps on and pulled tight. No problem look at me in my profile picture. I'm on the ramp of my Herk with my legs hanging off Wheeee having fun in Viet Nam!! :D Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Disclaimer: The following story was conveyed to me by a Flight Engineer almost 40 years ago. Both of us were sober at the time (sort of) and please note that it did not start off with "this is aint no BS"; which as we all know is the prelude to a war story of questionable truth. While some degree of truth may have been told there is the possibility that he might have embellished the tale a bit.

So this FE had flown multiple tours on gunpigs out of Thailand during the Big One (WW Viet Nam) and the way the story went he had flown with an IO who would drop off the ramp (on a harness of course) and be towed along behind the aircraft. After a while the IO would get tired, call the Pilot on inter-phone and request permission to come back aboard. The Pilot at that point holler for someone to "haul that dumb SOB back in" (or words to that effect).  

• 1 month later...