Rhein Main Restaurant

jsummers

12 hours ago, jsummers said:

anyone stationed at RM remember the name of a good german restaurant pretty near base; I have it recorded as Middledicks but i really doubt that's the right name.

we're headed back to Germany & I'd like to retrace some good memories. Thnx

Hi Jim,

Mitteldick's sounds very familiar, but like you said. I doubt if that's the name.   I think it was in Zepplinheim.

Have you checked out the air base on Google Earth?  The only familiar sights are the hotel and the star-shaped buildings where the mail room used to be.  Even the building where the American Legion used to be in Waldorf is an empty field now!

Have fun and get some pictures.

Don R.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 8:46 AM, jconner2 said:

Sorry I can't help but I sure remember the air base food.  I remember the base cafeteria as winning the USAFE award almost every year.  The holiday meals were amazing.  I'm not sure I ever went off base to eat, but I was only passing through.

I don't remember the restaurant but remember a few bars down town,the rocket club and the German canteen just off the flight line.That chow hall was great!Had some good times at R M and Frankfurt.

I remember the mess hall well.  Every Sunday morning breakfast consisted of steak and eggs.   Never saw more hangovers in one place.  I can confirm GVS's statement, the mess hall served very good food.  Didn't eat there much though as I was TDY most of the time.

The biergarten I remember most was a place on the road to Zeppeinhiem at the railroad crossing.  If memory serves, we called it Freddy's as an older man whose name was Freddy was always there working.  He liked Americans, and if not busy, he would set with us and tell stories about the war and ask questions about America.  

19 hours ago, larry myers said:

The biergarten I remember most was a place on the road to Zeppeinhiem at the railroad crossing.  If memory serves, we called it Freddy's as an older man whose name was Freddy was always there working. 

Larry, you're thinking of Johnny's, just past the railroad tracks on the right.  I just about lived at that place during my first assignment there (1967 -- 1970).  He was Austrian and had a girlfriend named Liz, I think.  About a quarter mile past that was a restaurant that served the best jager schnitzel.

You were on the A-models there, right?  It's a long shot, but did you ever know an FE in your unit named William (Bill) Cord?  On my second assignment there (1977 -- 1983), he was our first sergeant in the 37th TAS.

Don R.

DC10FE,I remember a beer garden that was near or next to RR tracks or a station.Does this description ring any bells?This place had 2 or 3 double entrance doors,a large main floor with a stage at one end (opposite the entrance doors),a balcony on 3 sides.I'm going back to '62 or 3 and '64.The place was always crowded and the beer maids were BUSY.

Another thing I remember is some young German lad would try to walk on the balcony rail all the way around.Never saw one make it. They either fell back into the balcony or crashed  on to the main floor.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:59 PM, DC10FE said:

Larry, you're thinking of Johnny's, just past the railroad tracks on the right.  I just about lived at that place during my first assignment there (1967 -- 1970).  He was Austrian and had a girlfriend named Liz, I think.  About a quarter mile past that was a restaurant that served the best jager schnitzel.

You were on the A-models there, right?  It's a long shot, but did you ever know an FE in your unit named William (Bill) Cord?  On my second assignment there (1977 -- 1983), he was our first sergeant in the 37th TAS.

Don R.

I remember a very good restaurant we called "The Log", but maybe only because it had a large log out front that was made a bench.  Think it's actually called Der Gundhof.  I know we walked through some small gate out the backside somewhere.  One of the best steaks I've had in my life!