Jump to content
Aero Precision provides OEM part support for military aircraft operators across more than 20 aircraft
Shola

C130H Fuel Leaks in Flight

Recommended Posts

C130 experts,..i have a problem on C130H...my aircraft got visible fuel leak on port aft wing...which is visible in flight above 6000 ft in flight....we have rectified plumbings in dry bay, flap area, drain system, yet fuel leak still persists in flight. The leak happens only in flight...we have replaced o rings at fuel pipeline at flap area..fuel leak still persist...any suggestion guys.. I have attached a video of the latest leak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We jacked up the aircraft and flexed the left wing, simulating flight mode. Yet, we couldn't replicate the leak on ground. Gentlemen, any suggestions on how to locate the leaking point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 7:41 PM, Moeed hassan said:

Dear at what flt level fuel leak started??? I hope the leak stops as soon as u decend for landing... 

At 6000 ft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear friend is the was fuel leak at the time of landing??? I means when  u were descending the plane was there fuel leackage exist or were stoped??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Moeed hassan said:

Dear friend is the was fuel leak at the time of landing??? I means when  u were descending the plane was there fuel leackage exist or were stoped??? 

The fuel leak stopped during landing. The crew said the fuel blown off during landing was suspected to be from the residual fuel accumulation during the leak in flight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U need to chek the top surfaces of wing at fuel tank point.... I think leak is coming from top surfaces of tank dur to air pressure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check your vent lines inside the tanks; a cracked vent pipe will let fuel into the system and can vent overboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NATOPS1 said:

Check your vent lines inside the tanks; a cracked vent pipe will let fuel into the system and can vent overboard.

Ok, we will do that.  However, will the venting pass through the normal vent or can leak as shown in the video?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the video focuses on a location that is far aft of the actual leak site. If you observe closely fuel is passing by and getting picked up by the airstream at the forward edge of the fuel pump access hinge plate. The boostpump access and strainer are both in that area; any maintenance been done in that area (filter cleaned or changed, fuel boostpump replaced?)?

How far forward is the leak?

What was the fuel level of the tank during the video and other times that it has leaked? Does it always leak at all fuel levels?

What pumps were operating? What valves open? transferring fuel? Crossfeed or only main tank pump and n crossfeed?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Has this issue been solved? It looks like the leak is further forward at the #2 fuel tank. Have you filled the tank to about 50% full and ten no loaded the wings to flex the wing? It looks like a cracked wing plank under #2 fuel tank. I have a simular incident with a C-130E, 62-1826 while flying to Japan from California. No signs of a fuel leak on the ground but leaked in flight. At Yokoda, they no loaded the wings and behold, a fuel leak. A 4" crack span wise in the #3 lower plank.

Edited by Ramrod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Has this issue been solved? It looks like the leak is further forward at the #2 fuel tank. Have you filled the tank to about 50% full and ten no loaded the wings to flex the wing? It looks like a cracked wing plank under #2 fuel tank. I have a simular incident with a C-130E, 62-1826 while flying to Japan from California. No signs of a fuel leak on the ground but leaked in flight. At Yokoda, they no loaded the wings and behold, a fuel leak. A 4" crack span wise in the #3 lower plank.

Yes. The problem has been solved. We applied sealant to tank #2 and allowed it to cure very well. Now, there is no more leak and the aircraft is back in service. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...