Ramstein receives first upgraded C-130

Metalbasher

Ramstein receives first upgraded C-130

11/21/2007 - RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany (AFPN) -- Bigger, faster, stronger. That is what the Air Force has in mind with its new J model C-130 Hercules aircraft, unveiled at Ramstein Nov. 9, and meant to replace the C-130E.

With an extended cargo bay and added features, the C-130J is set to attack and execute any mission set in front of it, officials said.

\"Adding the C-130J to Ramstein\'s airlift mission will greatly aid in mission success\" said Maj. Jason Terry, who is with Headquarters U.S. Air Forces in Europe.

Ramstein currently has 17 C-130E model aircraft, all of which are still scheduled to fly until they are completely phased out by the new C-130J\'s, between 2009 and 2011.

Air National Guard member Master Sgt. John McDonald felt the difference, he said.

\"I noticed the take off was a lot faster and smoother than the C-130E,\" he said. \"The flight seemed quick and smooth. Guard members at Quonset State Airport, R.I., are excited to be among the first to have the new C-130Js assigned to them.\"

Some of the added features to the C-130 include a flexible design, which enables the aircraft to be configured for many different missions. This allows one aircraft to perform the role of many.

\"The new cockpit of the aircraft really enhances situational awareness with bigger windows,\" said Lt. Col. Todd Oliver, who is with the 38th Airlift Squadron (provisional). \"Larger and more accurate radars have made it easier for us pilots to successfully reach our destinations no matter the weather.\"

Fewer dials in the C-130\'s cockpit have made for a sleeker and modern look, said Major Terry. The more efficient cockpit has reduced the workload of the aircrew reducing aircrew members to four personnel from six.

The Combined Noise Abatement Committee met with Brig. Gen. Rich Johnston, 86th Airlift Wing commander, to discuss how the noise of the new aircraft would affect the Kaiserslautern community.

Committee members where able to watch as the C-130J took off, landed and taxied around the Ramstein flight line. After witnessing this, committee members were impressed with the seemingly reduced noise of the new aircraft and welcomed the C-130J to Ramstein.

\"The C-130 is a very well-loved aircraft, it\'s one of the aircraft that the Air Force is most known for,\" said Major Terry. \"Most people recognize the C-130 as bringing help. It\'s great to see it evolve into what it is today.\"

\"The new cockpit of the aircraft really enhances situational awareness with bigger windows,\" said Lt. Col. Todd Oliver, who is with the 38th Airlift Squadron (provisional).

I haven\'t been near a J-model, but from the photos I\'ve seen, the cockpit windows are the same no matter whether it\'s an A-model through the J-model. Is Lt. Col Oliver correct in that ststement?

I don\'t want this taken as criticism, I\'m just curious.

Don R.

Lockheed did indeed make some J-models that are not extended. The rest of the J-models will be extended (15ft longer than the norm). The article is way off. I am just guessing but the HUD maybe the \"bigger windows\" that enhance situational awareness.

• 1 year later...

Just curious, I saw an article about the first J for Ramstein. It said that Ramstein will receive 14 J models over the next 12 months. Then Lockheed is going to start deliveries to Dyess. There have been recent stories about the H models at Dyess getting new wings. 3 or 4 have already been replaced. What are they going to do with the H's? It seems like they would replace the E's at LRF before they replaced the H's at Dyess with new wings? Maybe they are sending the H's to LRF?

Bob

Just curious, I saw an article about the first J for Ramstein. It said that Ramstein will receive 14 J models over the next 12 months. Then Lockheed is going to start deliveries to Dyess. There have been recent stories about the H models at Dyess getting new wings. 3 or 4 have already been replaced. What are they going to do with the H's? It seems like they would replace the E's at LRF before they replaced the H's at Dyess with new wings? Maybe they are sending the H's to LRF?

Bob

I believe they are going to the Rock, both AMC and AETC.

Seen pictures of the J Model Yesterday.

The Biggest change for me is the Flight deck

It Pretty for out to me. I don`t Recognize to much

in there. An then it dawned on me I have`nt been in

A C-130 for 35 Years Accept for Air shows an museums.