C-130 Lockheed factory

Muff Millen

Yesterday, 21 October 2010 I had the honor of having a guided and well narrated tour of the facility at Dobbins where the mighty Herk is born and fully finished for service to the world operators of this great airplane.

The factory is spotless, very quiet and the folks (Lockheed employees) were professional, understanding and fully knowledgable of the areas we were being briefed on. A great bunch of people. I will always be thankful for the tour and the info provided. After being associated with the Herk for over 47 years it was fulfulling to see where it all starts.

That J is a huge step forward from my experance on the A's, B's and E's. Can you imagine no before before engine shut down check list, just turn a switch one click to the left and the computer does everything. Also a feature that impressed me is that if a system is not needed for the mission that system is full off line and the computer opens the CB and no power is applied to the system until it is needed for the mission....wow what a great idea. Another item I noticed missing on the center console....no condition levers....computer eliminated the need. I could go on and on but too much to mention.

Man, I sure wish I was about 50 years younger and flying them again...oh I forgot...no Engineer...Oh well I retain the great memories.

Thanks to all the folks at Lockheed for the tour and great memories.

Muff Millen

I got my chance to wander around the factory for a whole day back in 86 or 87

Thems war the good ol days.

Called up and aranged a tour with thier PA folks about a week prior, loaded up a bird with interested Pilots and FE's, flew up to the plant and got our tour.

Nowdays it would be all about fraud wasted and abuse, taking a Herk and flying it up to the factory "just because".

Pretty much now a days if your not a family member of an employee, or get lucky with a boy/girl scout or school tour your out of luck. Muff I believe got in on the Operator's conference tour. Which won't be another one of those till next year.

All those years my dad worked in Saudi for Lockheed = jack sh*t. That is why I asked.