Brake System - Description & Operation

Red October

Hi Folks, great website here. I was wondering if anyone had some wording about the brake system, specifically the Description & Operation.

I know the pilots press on the brake pedals and the plane slows down, but what happens in between? What sequence of events between the force of the brake pedal and the brakes operating?

Thanks very much in advance!!

Step on brake pedal, brake selector valve determines how much pressure to send to antiskid valve, antiskid valve monitors wheel rotation speed, if speed relationship is good the antiskid valve allows provided pressure to flow to the brake assy, brake assy slows aircraft....

Well, it is a bit more complicated than that. As far as from a pilot's perspective, it might seem that simple.

Then again, even a pilot would need to be aware of whether the brakes were in normal or emergency. The power brake control valve (by the operators pressure on the tops of the rudder pedals) determines the amount of pressure to go to the brakes and the brake selector valves determine whether or not the pressure goes through the anti-skid control valve or not.

Red October, would you want a pdf file explaining all this or is this enough?

Step on brake pedal, brake selector valve determines how much pressure to send to antiskid valve, antiskid valve monitors wheel rotation speed, if speed relationship is good the antiskid valve allows provided pressure to flow to the brake assy, brake assy slows aircraft....

Based on the posters verbage thought it better to not cloud the issue... so with that said....

The brake selector SWITCH determines which hyd power source (Util or Aux) is used, in NORNAL if you step on brake pedal the Brake selector valve determines (based on the amount of pedal travel) how much utility pressure to send to antiskid valve, the antiskid valve monitors wheel rotation speed, if the speed relationship is good the antiskid valve allows provided pressure to flow to the brake assy, brake assy slows aircraft....

In EMERGENCY if you step on the brake pedal the Brake selector valve determines (based on the amount of pedal travel) how much Aux Hyd/hand pump pressure to send to the brake assy, brake assy slows aircraft....

Hope that is OK....

• 10 years later...

i'm wondering if the park brake is effective without system pressurised.

actually , i parked the aircraft facing a downslope but when we shut down the engines the aircraft started to roll!!! which was freaking!!!! have anyone experienced that before or have any explanation?

5 hours ago, badr said:

i'm wondering if the park brake is effective without system pressurised.

actually , i parked the aircraft facing a downslope but when we shut down the engines the aircraft started to roll!!! which was freaking!!!! have anyone experienced that before or have any explanation?

UTY/AUX Accumulators Pressure is available for application of brake pressure.

Best Regards

Munir Abbasi