Eight blade props and electronic valve housing

Dave in WV

Pretty much nothing. I've been working avionics for a long time and can count the number of times I have seen a box suffer from a lightning strike on 1 finger.

Lightning usually travels along the outside of an object, so getting internal to any particular item would be difficult. Worrying about that could be measured in micro give-me-a-$h!tz.

Then you are saying the J model is very susceptible to avionics shut down when lightning strikes. The electronic valve housings remove the requirement for synchrophasers which means the props may go out of synch at worst just like now, if lighting would strike and take them out. Likely NO.

We had a couple of birds take a hit and there were avionics & radio problems.

Dave, the comm and nav radios are on the front lines as far as lightning is concerned, becasue of the antennas. That's why I am surprised I've only seen one issue that could be attributed to lightning. The static wicks do a fine job as a point of exit.

I'm just saying that the internal workings of that housing would protect it.

I'm just old school and I admit it. If it works and is reliable why change it? The 8 blade props may be a great idea and the valve housing may be too. When we got the '88 H2's we had a team form Lockheed, Allison, and Hamilton Standard come to the unit and give their dog and pony show. One young engineer from Lockheed was fussing the flight engineers would trust a 1955 "A" model dip stick but not his digital gauges. I almost blurted out "yes we do, the dip stick doesn't lie, your gauges do"! It took a while for those digital gauges to settle in. Even then you lost a few thousand pounds of fuel (indicated) on rotation and you gained it back after landing and roll out.

My thoughts always were the guy that swears this is better is not with you when it's not! Kinda like my dad's saying, "doctors bury their mistakes".