Aero Precision provides OEM part support for military aircraft operators across more than 20 aircraft
Sign in to follow this  
TOLD BAG

Heavy Chain and Eagle Flight.......

So our two grey "E Flight" aircraft were just a nickname. OK.

Our upgraded security clearances were just for practice, and the mission were actually haphazard.

I didn't realize all that.

Thanks.

Clearly I need to be checking here more frequently than I have! Sam and Fred, I have no idea of your sources or basis of authority on 1980s operations.  However, I was assigned to the 21st TAS from Feb. 1984 for a 3 year tour.  I was initially the 21st TAS chief navigator, and then moved to become the ALCE commander until the end of my tour.  Late in 1984 I joined what everyone in the 21st TAS knew as "E flight".  It was also referred to as E Flight by 13th Air Force, who ran the missions.  This was not a separate organizational element of the 21st TAS.  It was instead a specifically designated set of personnel who were cleared to fly the missions.  In other words, while I flew E flight missions, I also flew regular 21st TAS missions. 

It is very misleading to suggest that those persons flying those missions simply "twenty years later claim to have been part of them when it was an entirely different mission altogether."  I claim only what I know I was told by the 21TAS and 13th Air Force--that this operation was referred to as E flight.  If an organization's mission changes over time, that does not mean that it is not the same organization, only evolved.  Most certainly, an outside observer is not in a position to second guess without some concrete data refuting what those who were participants were told by the Air Force command with operational responsibility.