63-7777

The Postman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

That was the West Virginia Guard. They came back later for another aircarft, and told me 7777 was one of their best aircraft.

I have a pic of Many 7's when she flew into Kunsan back in 77 or 78. My dates are a lil fuzzy.

She was a staple in the training program at Dyess 65-66 for 346th & 347th crews. Lots of low level routes, touch and goes, air drops and other training missions. Does anyone remember if 7's went to Evereaux or Mildenhall on Cross-switch rotation in 66? I certainly logged some hours on her at Dyess.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While I was at Yokota from 1985 to 1987 "Bunch of Sevens" nickname was "Phyllis", short for "Syphilis".  Was on an engine change MRT on it at Osan one fine winter eve.  After the engine change, about 1 O'clock in the AM started the engine run up.  Made me shut down because "FRED" (C-5A) was about 500 feet behind with front and rear open.

• 1 month later...

bunch-of-7s%20001.jpg

Oil painting done by one of the shops in Taichung. Had them put the tail number on because We flew bunch of 7s so much. Still got the painting. I was Loadmaster with 776 TAS at CCK from 70-73. Think maybe I forgot to tell them to change the DH, don't really remember. It was copied from another painting that Big John had done.

Edited by Graywolf88

If my memory isn't failing me, bunches of 7's was used as a Bob Hope bird when I was at CCK . It probably was in 69!

A lot of the guys -including me, were sure they were going to use my plane (62-1804) because of it's nearly flawless flying record, but 777 had just gotten back from IRAN with a new paint job and spiffed up interior so they took it instead. Of course, as all of us C-130 guys know, our birds could decide to puke whenever they wanted and that's what happened! By then 1804 and I were on an input to CRB and were out of the running as a replacement.  The crew chief on one of the planes transporting the Bob Hope troop around told me that Connie Francis slept with her head on his shoulder all the way back to CCK one night and he was scared to move!!!

Now that I have told my 777 story, maybe it was 555 or something similar. If I need correcting, feel free!  I do remember now that is was for sure in 1969, CCK, and the Connie Francis part is probably true. I may even remember the crew chief's name. I just had a brain flash. I kind of think it was a guy from Michigan named Kvalheim. 

Surely one of you guys can help me out!!

Ken

This was 63-7777(Bunch Of Seven's) at CCK near Delta Row near the Flt Line Snack Bar  in the 70's when I was at CCK.

EFLTatCCK

Vince, nice pic! thanks for the memories,

Ken

• 1 year later...

Bunch of 7's.....September of 70 I did 3.4 hours on training flight and then again on January 20th of 71 logged 6 sorties and 4.9 combat hours..We made 6 trips from Song be to a strip on the other side of the Mountain and never raised the gear or flaps...After take off checklist and before landing checklist at the same time..I was a loadmaster at CCK from Fall of 70 to summer of 71......Our unit hauled Bob Hope all over Vietnam but CCK never got a show while I was there. Rick Vieth was the Loadmaster from My squadron that got the trip... 

Jerry, Welcome to the forum. It is real nice to see a new "one of the old guys" join up. You and I both were at CCK on the flightline at the same time. We probably were on the same flight out leaving the country. Do you remember Steve Mudge, Dennis (Red) Guinane, John Chase ,David Beesley, Dave Glanville, Pete McPheters, and more?? I have some of those guys in my gallery. Sitting on a table behind 336.

I see my guess on my post above about the crew chief on 777 was wrong. Is the rest of my story about 777 right? I do know we are in agreement on the members of the Bob Hope troop.

Hope to see you on her often---that means I will have to be n here more often also.

Ken

Ken, I remember David Beesley at cck, I was also stationed with him at Carswell AFB 1984, He was a CMSGT, When i was at cck was the only time i got to work on C-130 , worked on B52's and Kc135's . Isure did like the Herky Birds the best. I retired from the USAF in 1991. I still remember some of the people , Butch Tucker , Ken Newman, Lynn Dearstone, Troy Juresko I was stationed with him 1985 in Injurlik Turkey, Big Indian Chief Locust, A1c Pearson was my assistant crew chief, I took over 62-1834 from SSGT Eckert. some of the names are coming back to me, But that has been a long time ago. If i can think of more, i will post. The only one i keep in touch with is Butch Tucker Moultrie Ga. He is a Bass Pro fisherman. His son too J. Todd Tucker. If you are on Face Book , Look me up Jerry Lawler , Oh, remember Tsgt Tyner,

Was stationed Yokota 316 FMS engine shop flight line dispatch (JDIS), June 1984 to June 1987.  374th was still at Clark when I was first assigned but came up to Yokota and spoiled the party in 1986.

Bunch of 7's was among the 18 assigned 316TAG/374th TAW C-130E aircraft.  I always liked "Phyllis", though I have to admit if there was an IFE, for a propulsion issue we all knew it would be Bunch of 7's.  I was dispatched to Osan for a prop problem, R2 the Valve Housing then had to do an engine run at 1:00 AM.  Told Job Control I was concerned about the activity on the C-5 behind me, was told " it's 250 feet, perform your run".  Between the time I pushed the buttons and went to power one of the LM's and CC from the C-5 came running up to my ground man ( AKA Monkey on a string), and told us to shut down as they had opened both ends of the C-5 and we turned it into a wind tunnel.  (Or was it an engine change change, having trouble remembing 30 years ago.)

I also remember 64-0524, and 63-7895, which was my favorite 316th E.  I recovered 7895 from Kim Hae after PDM at KAL in December of 1986.  Won a case of beer from the FCF PIC who bet me flushing the prop brake would not fix a prop that rotated backwards after in flight shutdown.  I flushed the brake and sent them back up and he actually called us back on the radio ( we were in the tower, that was cool), and said, "tell Sgt Wester I owe him a case of beer".  He paid up too, good officer, good Pilot.

On 8/31/2016 at 11:19 PM, Jerry Lawler said:

Ken, I remember David Beesley at cck, I was also stationed with him at Carswell AFB 1984, He was a CMSGT, When i was at cck was the only time i got to work on C-130 , worked on B52's and Kc135's . Isure did like the Herky Birds the best. I retired from the USAF in 1991. I still remember some of the people , Butch Tucker , Ken Newman, Lynn Dearstone, Troy Juresko I was stationed with him 1985 in Injurlik Turkey, Big Indian Chief Locust, A1c Pearson was my assistant crew chief, I took over 62-1834 from SSGT Eckert. some of the names are coming back to me, But that has been a long time ago. If i can think of more, i will post. The only one i keep in touch with is Butch Tucker Moultrie Ga. He is a Bass Pro fisherman. His son too J. Todd Tucker. If you are on Face Book , Look me up Jerry Lawler , Oh, remember Tsgt Tyner,

What year was Beesley a CMSGT? He must have made the USAF a career after I knew him. At CCK he was a SGT same as me? Wes Eckert was a good friend of mine. When I left CCK I left my stereo equipment with Wes (SSGT Eckert), so he could ship it to his home in Middletown NY . He had no limit on "hold baggage" due to his rank. I spent the last 6 months at Dover and drove up to pick up my stuff at his house. I think he had gotten out for good.

See if anymore names jog your memory? Did you look at my gallery? You should know some more of those guys in there.

Ken

Bob, do you remember what year that was?  I do have a few pics of him that aren't  what you would call " in proper uniform" , taken in 69 or 70, but would probably look like him as a younger version. I will write myself a note to post a picture of the David Beesley that I knew. I think his name is on my blanket orders I have posted in my gallery also.

Ken

Here are the pictures of the David Beesley that I knew well. I do remember he was married, and I see in my blanket order pic in my gallery he was on separate rats..  I remember him as being fairly stocky/muscular and had a great sense of humor. One night down in the "Dozen" he saved Wes Eckert  from getting his outfit cut off by a guy selling "skibbe pictures" All Wes did was offer to show the guy his "crank"! Then he went around the rest of the evening saying "God bless David Beesley for he saved my crank" . I know this may be a family forum, but I know almost all of us guys had some very humorous moments  away from home.  Sometimes my wife will

look at me thinking what the hell is wrong with you when one of those old 40+ year old memories pops into my head.

The picture is one I drug out of my old slides of a violin Dave bought downtown and he was wearing his smoking jacket or whatever serenading some of guys in the barracks. (#336) by the way.

Hope he is the same one we know. Dave, if you ever visit this forum, congratulations on your promotions.!

Ken

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0601.jpg