63-7865

bobdaley

Air Force Retires Storied C-130: One of the oldest aircraft in USAF\'s inventory, a C-130E transport with tail number 63-7865, left its home with the 86th Airlift Wing at Ramstein AB, Germany, for the last time June 4 to fly into retirement back in the US. Stars and Stripes reported June 5 that the aircraft has had an illustrious life, with more than 44 years of service, even winning an honorary Purple Heart in 1972 during the Vietnam War for the severe damage that it sustained. Its last combat sortie occurred in November 2007 in Iraq. The airplane will be stored in the \"boneyard\" at the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group at Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz. By the end of the summer, the 86th AW expects to retire five of its C-130Es, each of which entered service between 1964 and 1965. The wing is scheduled to receive its first new C-130J aircraft next spring. (Includes Ramstein report by Capt. Jeffrey Holland)

I\'ll second that! What would it take to get the old girl into a museum and not the scrap heap. I was lucky enough to be 2nd wiper at Kadena and CC at Yakota. The only C-130 to be presented with the Purple Heart. It\'s a crying shame.

Since we have an ex Herky jock as the new CS of the Air Force, a series of petitions and letters from active members and vets would be a start to get it saved. Lots of us logged hours on these old \"E\" models including 865, bunch of 7\'s and other with history dating to the early 60\'s.

John

StovetopNav wrote:

Not sure...we always used \"Herky\" call sign when I was at RMS \'01-\'04. Should be at DM tomorrow AM. BTW, 12 more Es will retire by the end of Sep, according to NDAA language...

Actually the \"Herky\" callsign was local only (at least when I was there) and any trip would actually use a VCSL callsign.

Dan

I can only speak to 2001-2004, but \"Herky\" was used on all local, SAAM/Channel msns. Only exception was \"JGO/KOO\" msns. I even flew OIF/OEF msns under the Herky call sign...still got the 781s that say so from my 2003 forays into our favorite country...could be different now, though.

I was the 6th or 7th FE to get to RM back in 1977 when the 37th was reactivated there. Originally, squadron call sign was \"Herty,\" but that was used only for a very short while before it was changed to \"Herky.\" It was used mainly for locals only, at least until I left in 1983. Aah, the good old days!!!

Don R.

There are 17 new inputs to AMARC on the ramp there now.

The ones I have been told about are 62-1808, 1810, 1816, 1837, 1864,63-7770, 7782, 7818, 7837, 7865, 7871, 7885, 7889, 64-0502, 0512, 17681, 72-1292.

Interesting, 72-1292 was inspected and not restricted and 62-1864 was unrestricted. The rest were all restricted or grounded.

Bob

PS Added a few more, seems there sre only 5 restricted E\'s still on the flight lines. All at Little Rock.

62-1837 was inspected at Pemco in 2004 and no longer restricted. 62-1864, 62-1817, and 62-1786 (other Idaho E models)were never restricted because they had replacement center wing boxes with fairly low EBH.

62-1864 would have been due PDM this year, but 62-1837 had a couple years to go. Both were exceptional flyers and it pains me to see them parked.

• 2 weeks later...