Flow Control Valve Filter

APG85

On the ISO work card deck, Card NO. 1-214 it says: D. FLOW CONTROL VALVE FILTER CONDITION; CLEAN BY ULTRASONIC METHOD (AIRCRAFT PRIOR TO 74-1658).

The IPB does not show this filter. Has anyone ever delt with this before? Is the filter within the flow control valve? There should be one for the flt deck and cargo compartment. Thanks.

It is not located in the lower forward fuselage as this card eludes to, and I can understand the confusion. It is usually behind the aft panel under nav table (just forward of FS245).

Also confusing is the prior to 74,1658 statement. From what I know, this filter is on every damn one of 'em.

BUT!!! Card 2-116, task 6, states, OUTFLOW VALVE FILTER FOR CLEANLINESS. REPLACE IF NECESSARY. WTF is the deal????????????????

There is a fliter in the flow control and shutoff valve under deck, but that would require a backshop T.O. to disassemble, and we can't have that going on.

Mabe Sonny can help figure this out. I'm just a dumb pointy head.

I can tell you that the filter is for the emergency depressurization flow contol valve. It is shown in the -4-21-1, section 21-30-00, Figure 1c, item 145. The element cartridge is cheaper, about $25, and is item -75.

However, the step it does specifically state to clean it, and that makes me wonder why there are so many spares in supply...

Of course, we could purhcase a mil spec hydrosonic cleaner for $2500, and reuse them. We would see payback after 100 ISO inspections. BUT, it could be used to clean everyone's jewelry, carbs, and anything else we needed it for, so there's a plus.

Edited by tinyclark

On the upstream side of the flow control and shutoff valve is a metal line attached to a fitting that also goes to a regulator and the altitude compensator. That fitting is the back of a bleed air filter that can be cleaned ultrasonically. It can also be replaced. The wording of your card indicates that you are to clean that filter.

The schematic that TineyClark showed doesn't match our valves. It depends on what part number FCSOV your aircraft have, I reckon.

Edited by Steve1300

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some pics of the Flight deck outflow valve filter. The job guide does not tell you to keep the adapeter to remove the inserted filter cartridge (factory installed) and connect hose to the valve, but it does tell to how to replace the cartridge. That is why these pictures show the factory installed filter in and the other hose filter just laying around

The filter they are referring is the one under this retainer. This view is looking straight up just inside fuselage station 245. This should have a retaining ring installed. The NSN for the filter is 5325-00-529-3720. The retaining clip is 5325-00-807-5335.