Item 8. ADI SEL switches

JoCrow

During the Dash 1 power on portion of the preflight inspection we seem to have mass confusion in our squadron on a specific step, Item 8. ADI SEL switches - NORM. This setting seems to be a great debate among our engineers. Does this step refer to the ADI NORM/ADI REPEAT switch on the copilots FDMS or the ADI SEL switchs on the pilot and copilots side to select the ADIs to either NORM or SKE. And if it is the ADI NORM/ADI REPEAT switch on the copilots FDMS then why does Item 8 say switches instead of switch since there is only one of these.

I would say it isn't for the ADI repeat, although that should probably be in Norm, but there is a caution light for that if it isn't.

That only leaves the ADI SKE/NORM switch, and I have had the pleasure of going out on many red balls to switch it to back to Normal.

There is the Flt Dir Normal-Manual switch on the FDMS panel as well, but maybe that's addressed in your checklist.

Actually, my favorite fix on the AWADS birds was for "No RADAR display on the NAV scope". I would lean against the upper Nav Panel with my left hand, take my line badge out with my right, wave it at the scope and say my prayer, "Omni, Omni, ILS, get this problem off my chest." At the same time, I'd flip the RADAR/SKE toggle switch to RADAR. TADA!!!!

Edited by tinyclark

During the Dash 1 power on portion of the preflight inspection we seem to have mass confusion in our squadron on a specific step, Item 8. ADI SEL switches - NORM. This setting seems to be a great debate among our engineers. Does this step refer to the ADI NORM/ADI REPEAT switch on the copilots FDMS or the ADI SEL switchs on the pilot and copilots side to select the ADIs to either NORM or SKE. And if it is the ADI NORM/ADI REPEAT switch on the copilots FDMS then why does Item 8 say switches instead of switch since there is only one of these.

One possible explanation would be a T.O. commonality issue, (which is an Oxymoron in itself) on the U-model gunship the ADI select switch would be used to select either an INS or gyro for ADI attitude reference, just my two cents worth!

Been way too many years, so i'm trying to clear the spider webs. When I did my pre-flight the 3 things that I did was set the altimeters to 29.92, the rotary selector switch to HDG, and the selector switch to the up (Normal) position (if it's the right switch). Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but it's the 2 position switch (vertical up/down) on the right side of the pilots instrument panel. The heading mode put the BDHI into, simply, a directional gyro mode. Did this to cross-check the pilot's and co-pilot's indicators. Same for the altimeters, 29.92 showed me the pressure altitude and I compared the 2. I haven't done a preflight in 25 years sooooo..... :confused:

I'd have to agree with Tiny here. Step 8. refers to the AID/SKE switch located outboard of the main instrument panel. Later on in step 38. (E(H)-1), it directs you to select normal & heading for those two switches on each of the FDMS select panels. There is nothing to tell you to ensure the ADI repeat switch postion, only system knowledge & common sense.

Tiny and amptestfe I agree with both of you about Item. 8 ADI SEL switches being the SKE/NORM switches and we also go to VG and HDG as part of Item. 9. and then the configuration in Item. 38. With the configuration in Item 8, 9, and 38 of the checklist the ADI reapeat switch is not a player. Amptestfe hit it on the nose with system knowledge and common sense but we had an engineer that found where Section 4 of the Dash 1 calls the ADI repeat switch an ADI select switch and he has confused a lot of guys with this.

• 2 weeks later...

That may be, but there's only one repeat switch & step 8 calls for ADI SEL switches. This may just be symantics, but the switch position it calls for (NORM), doesn't exsist. All the switches have NORMAL, not NORM. So who knows??

Maybe the guy that wrote that part was watching Cheers at the time.