C17 Gear up landing ??

spec13fe

• 2 months later...

5/8/2009 - SCOTT AIR FORCE BASE, Ill. (AFNS) -- Air Mobility Command here May 7 released the results of its investigation into the Jan. 30 mishap involving a C-17 Globemaster III that landed with retracted gear at Bagram Airfield, Afghanistan.

The Accident Investigation Board, convened by AMC officials, concluded the primary cause of the mishap was the failure of the pilots to lower the landing gear and confirm proper aircraft landing configuration in accordance with the before landing checklist.

The AIB president also found that aircrew distractions, task saturation, reduced cockpit visual cues, failure of the flight crew to cross-monitor each other's performance, the tower's failure to transmit a required reminder, and the crew's inadvertent disabling of the ground proximity warning system alerts contributed to the mishap.

The mishap occurred as the C-17 was landing at Bagram Airfield during a combat airlift mission in support of operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom and Joint Task Force Horn of Africa operations.

The aircraft landed on the runway centerline with the landing gear retracted and slid approximately 4,500 feet before coming to rest on the runway. Crash, fire and rescue response was immediate, and there were no fatalities, injuries or damage to other property. However, damage to the aircraft's main landing gear and fuselage underbelly was significant.

I remember crews landing with parts of the gear up to mechanical reasons but were there any Herk unintentional gear up landings? I confess I came close one time.

Bob

Bob I remember one while I was at CCK a crew on a pilot pro somewhere in Taiwan did. I think it was a 345th crew. Skip

Edited by Skip Davenport

I remember crews landing with parts of the gear up to mechanical reasons but were there any Herk unintentional gear up landings? I confess I came close one time.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think the 16th did one at Blytheville, AR in the late 80's. Not sure but I think the Engineer pulled the c/b for the warning horn while doing Touch and Go's.

I do remember something at Makung and a midget named Iosue was pissed off but still got promoted

No Bob, the one at Makung was a plane in the drink no survivors. Determined to be caused by a blown tire. I spent 5 days on a Navy sea going tug and dove on the wreck several times. The head of investigation was a full colonel sent up tdy from Clark he had only been at Clark a short time. After reading several old reports that a blown tire could cause a lot of damage he decided that was the cause. I did not agree but no one listened...after the investigation I went to the colleital board and stated my thoughts, a thrown prop but still no one listened. I will go to my grave beliving that it was a prop through the right side.

The gear up landing was at Tainan CB pulled as they were making repeated touch and goes......I think this happened prior to Col Isoue, but he was HMIC when the Guam FIASCO happened.

Muff

You are correct, Bruce. My first Depot Field Team trip was to Blytheville to get the Herk platched up to fly back to Warner Robins for repair. I do believe that was 1986.

We strapped the sides together with steel straps and then a crew did a one-time flight to depot.

Aluminum structure melts pretty quickly when sliding down a runway!

Hi Bob,

I think the 16th did one at Blytheville, AR in the late 80's. Not sure but I think the Engineer pulled the c/b for the warning horn while doing Touch and Go's.

The FE on that one had just left the 37th for the 16th. His name started with an "M," I'm pretty sure. Something like "Mantel?"

Don R.

It was Aug of 1985. The plane was on Down Wind and asked to make a 360 to allow for a Tanker to take off. This broke the crews regular routine with the student pilots. The tower had some Base Ops guys working in the tower for some reason I don't remember. They were discussing if the gear was down or not. Plane landed on center line, but had a problem taxing. I don't remember any talk about the circuit breaker being pulled. I took the check books and clothes up to the crew during an afternoon pilot pro from the 16th.

It was Aug of 1985. The plane was on Down Wind and asked to make a 360 to allow for a Tanker to take off. This broke the crews regular routine with the student pilots. The tower had some Base Ops guys working in the tower for some reason I don't remember. They were discussing if the gear was down or not. Plane landed on center line, but had a problem taxing. I don't remember any talk about the circuit breaker being pulled. I took the check books and clothes up to the crew during an afternoon pilot pro from the 16th.

I could be wrong about the c/b being pulled that was a long time ago.

Joe's got it closest that I remember. I think the one that got them was they were also simulated engine out which means they had the one throttle at flight idle. That's why the warning horn didn't sound unless I'm forgetting how things worked! ;-)