4326 (68-10946)

Guest Casey

I was browsing the gallery and an image of this aircraft popped up in the random images. Anyone know what happened to cause the damage that resulted it it being written off in Nov 84?

Here's all I could find on it.

"November 2, 1984 : C-130E 68-10946, c/n 4326, of the 37th Tactical Airlift Squadron, hard landing at Giebelstadt Army Air Field, West Germany, ferried to Lockheed-Georgia at Marietta - nose section used to repair c/n 4029, C-130E 64-0539, of the 317th Tactical Airlift Wing, damaged when it ran off runway at Lajes, Azores, April 1984."

The term "hard landing" does not describe it very well. The pilot tried to save a bad approach, ran out of airspeed, altitude and ideas all at the same time and slammed into the ground on the right rear wheel. The right side landing gear gave away. Then we slammed down on the nose gear and it folded under as we slid down the runway. The number 4 prop was still spinning, hitting the concrete, and breaking off pieces and throwing them through the right side of the airplane. One of the ORI inspectors in the back got a skull fracture from something flying around and one loadmaster got hurt, but not bad.

I didn't think the airplane was ferried anywhere since we tore the belly structure out of it and messed up the right wing pretty good. I do know Marietta used it to fix 539.

Could all have been avoided by a missed approach and go-around. Bad deal all around.

Edited by Roy

I don't know anything about 946, but do know that 539 was "Franken-Herk" as they say. Worked it at Pope and Yokota. It was rumored to have had major structural damage and was peice-milled back together with bits and pieces of 3-4 different acft that were donors for one reason or another. Ran across a few things weren't necessarily the way they should have been, especially in comparison to other acft, structurally anyway.

Scott

The loadmaster was SMS Ken Regan. I worked at 435th Stan Eval with him. The other loadmaster took the Booster Suction Boost pump in the ribs when it seperated from the bulkhead. I computed the landing data for the accident board in their investigation. They did in fact land long and there was not enough runway to have stopped. The Army didn't have runway remaining markers along the sides of the runway. It was mainly a helicopter field.

Joe Dawson

Joe/Roy,

Wasn't the AC also in stan/eval? Pretty good pilot, as I remember.

Don R.

I think his name was Dalby. He was an up and comer within the squadron. But I don't remember him as being in Stan Eval. I also remember an old crusty Lt Col that Mac sent in to fly with Dalby to get him requaled. At cruise altitude the old guy reached up and shutdown an engine with out any explanation just to see Dalby composure. The Lt Col who's name escapes me was from the 16th back at Little Rock. I had flown with him many times at the school house.

Dalby was listed on the flight orders as a flight examiner pilot. I had flown with him several times when I was assigned to Rhein Main and always thought him to be a good pilot. Just shows, to me at least, that any of us can have a bad day.

• 2 weeks later...