Crew Entrance Door

CGRetired

We (the 815th @ Keesler) had one comeoff in the late 80's or early 90's. I was new at the time. I heard that there was a door open light sometime after takeoff. Someone saw the door handle was in-between locked and open. The engineer decided to try to move it to locked. He said when he touched it, in an instant the handle slammed to open and the door blew off. He said he thought he was gonna get sucked out the plane even with the harness on.

Edited by WxFE

I was at Sewart at the time and I think he was a2c Back.

The plane went to Pope and was on it,s way back to Sewart when

it happened.

Something makes me want to call him Baca.

They put a piece of metal over the locks so they couldn't be disengaged.

It was the fwd cargo door.

No Donwon it was not Baca, aka Chief. Like Bob said, it was Gary Back . Word was, he and Martinez, an eng. troop were chaining their tool boxes down at 245 when the fwd. cargo door blew. Back went out and Martinez, only part way out hung onto the chain and was pulled back in. I heard "The rest of the story", as to why it blew open, in 1990 from the Lockheed engineer who investigated the failure. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

LMAS SB-729 issued on 03-06 1999 was introduced to inspect the upper torque tubes for incorrectly drilled holes causing an interference between 357669/373901 link and 339613 lug attaching hardware installed on the 373900/339135 upper torque tube assembly on some aircraft. This interference occoured due to holes being drilled at incorrect locations in the 339613 lug.

"Quote" A properly locked crew door will not open in flight. The crew door should be latched and locked in accordance with the applicable Hercules Maintenance Manual.

If the master door warning light is off then i think the rigging is ok.

I think it was the Delaware air guard lost one in flight back in the late 90's

Yes. It was down at Tactics School. I wasn't there but have heard several versions of the story from people that were. I think they ended up finding the door, patching it up a little and put it back on.

The aircraft in the pictures is a Coast Guard aircraft in Kodiak Alaska, we got word here in Elizabeth City about it and ALC was investingating the cause, As far as I know they still dont have any idea what caused it, my theory is some one reached up and pulled the jettison handle......I know I have done it on the ground before (my bad) If I get anymore info I'll post.

There was some one who fell out the forward cargo back in the early sixties (62-63), but I thought they were able to pull him back in. How, I can't imagine. After that all the forward cargo doors were chained closed!

When i did a preflight i grabed the door and shook the heck out of it both side ways and in and out. you would be surprised how doors many i found lose on the hinges. They would call out the people that worked on the doors. when they came out they never semmed very happy it would take them quiteawile to get them adjusted right or replace them.

That the Areo repair shop Charlie, Boy I bet those guys loved you.

That an all day job. R&R the bushings and Shims rehang the door

then adjust the latches. I worked in the A/R Shop when I entered the

services. That why I say this door had worn an sloppy linkage.

Was on Herks 30 years and also installed and rigged them at Lockheed so... my thoughts on the FE lifting the crew door up about waist high and shaking it, is as about as good a check as walking by the tire and kicking it to check the air pressure. But hey... I'm retired now so , it may have changed...ha ha. NOTE:P.S. I just relooked at the pic a little closer and I see the retract pin on the telescoping rod is not retracted(if jettisoned) but bent, and the lower hinges are still on the acft and the door handle is in the locked position. It tells me the door wasn't jettisoned but looks like the "J" hooks were possibly out of adjustment. Would like to have seen how it was patched up as a prior post surmised and reinstalled. Vedy Inte-resting...as a certain inspector would say....

Edited by Spectre623

• 3 months later...

I have seen two photos and heard a lot of scuttle butt. No "official" information as of yet.

Vic

This is cg tail #1704 from Kodiak, ak. On climb out at about 3000feet the engeineer saw the door open light and straped in to check it out. The handle was in the half closed position and as soon as he touched it there went the door. It did no damage to the aircraft exterior. Im stationed up here and it was sketchy but no one was hurt and the birds back flying.