Crew Entrance Door

CGRetired

"the engeineer saw the door open light and straped in to check it out."

"I was told was the FE went to check a door wrning light and when he got to the door it dropped off."

So what I'm getting from this thread is that FE's should by no means be allowed ANYWHERE near the Crew door during flight.

Plaprad, that's why there's a harness secured at the lower bunk for just such an occasion on USAF, USAFR, & ANG C-130's. On preflight the engineer is supposed (required) to check the harness for proper adjustment (fit) and length (keeps you in the plane). Our chief engineer got mad as hell at me because I would tie a loose knot in the tether so I could tell if the length had been messed with because some folks may not know what something is for but will mess with it anyway. To check a door you first depressurize the cabin and go aux vent on the AC control so the door won't blow open.

By looking at the pics of the torque tube i wish i could remember off hand which was which for normal and jettison for the stop bolts. I think its in the jettison position and if so it is possible that if door was improperly rigged the pins will stay in even under a jettison position as it is a close tolerance attach point.

• 10 years later...
On 5/7/2009 at 4:25 AM, victorp1 said:

I have seen two photos and heard a lot of scuttle butt. No "official" information as of yet.

Vic

Anyone know where I can find a copy of these pictures? Not showing in the forum and have been unable to locate them through a google search. Email possibly if anyone still has them?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/12/2009 at 8:38 AM, Fleagle said:

I take it the door didn't strike #2 or along the side when it departed? Imagine having to use the Crew Entrance Door for bailout - as I recall it was the last resort if needing to bail out and the -1 EP's stated to push out and downward if using that door........gads!

I was told that a test was run, throwing a dummy out of the crew entry door, because they were afraid that if you ever used it in flight, you might hit the LH MLG pod. They were surprised when the dummy hit the RH MLG pod because the air swirls around the fuselage.