Landed short NVG's NV      
4645 74-1678 C130H     W/O 04/82 774TAS Wing Broke Turkey      

74-1681 C130H     W/O 08/89 DYS Wg Heavy Equipment Drop Pope AFB    
4658 74-1683 C130H YMC130H   W/O 10/80 AFSOC Credible Sport Test    
4693 74-1693 C130H     W/O 02/83 DYS Ground Fire Pope AFB  
4659 74-2064 C130H     W/O 03/80 773TAS Explosion Turkey    
4694 74-2068 C130H     W/O 06/83 DYS Stall Low Level NV    

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, are you guys sure 1681 was a LAPES?  I remember it as a night drop at Sicily; for some reason they had to racetrack and the LMs didn't follow checklist . . . ended up trying to drop the tank with the locks still in the platform.  One load went aft to cut the extraction chutes free and fell out; the plane couldn't overcome the drag of the three 28 footers and crashed.  If I remember right, the other load lost a leg but there weren't any other major injuries.

The only Pope LAPES crash that I remember was the well-documented Pope incident. 

Kim

Hi

You are correct Thanks, I think I changed it but I am computer challenged.

Here is what I have on it:

Heavy Equipment Drop with 2 28 foot extraction chutes. Crew had to racetrack after the 1 minute warning. Loads relocked the pallets but forgot to unlock them, when the chutes went out it caused the aircraft to decelerate. One of the loads went back to cut the chute and fell out.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I reported that he fell out based on a report way back in 2001 from Kim Anding, a crew member from Dyess in 1989.

He wrote "HE drop, 2 28 foot extraction chutes.Crew had to race track, relocked the platform then "forgot" to unlock it. Charles "Red" Alfred went aft to cut the extraction line and fell out"

Bob 

• 1 month later...

"Red" Alfred and I went through instructor school together. We were both at Dyess, me in the 773 TAS and he in the 772 TAS. Good friends. I had pcs to 1 SOS at Clark AB and was returning from deployment to states for exercise. At layover in Guam, read about the accident in Stars and Stripes newspaper. Reading above posts, info is basically correct from what I heard. A no drop called with a short racetrack and hurried checklist contributed to forgetting the locks. Red tried pulling the simul handle on the left locks, but due the force applied to the locks from the extraction chutes, locks would not release. He struggled to get around the load to the rear.  I did not hear about Red falling out, but, just at impact, he was on ramp trying to cut extraction line and that was when he was killed. 

Knew SRA Pam Meyers. She was my crew chief during rotation to Europe in 1981 while on runs in and out of Berlin for a week. She was a great person and knew her job. All of enlisted were put into one large room there in Berlin so we all hug out together when off duty. She held her own. Was very sad when I heard of her crash and I wasn't a very happen person when the cause was released. Totally unnecessary. 

• 1 month later...

Mar 14, 1980 Joseph and Paul Johnson sons of MSgt Joe Johnson and Wife Maria, a beautiful and close family were all friends of mine. Joseph and Paul were members of the band. My husband at the time worked with MSgt Johnson in the hospital at Incirlik. MSgt Johnson was the 1st Sgt. In 1984 we visited the Johnsons at their home in Spain. Please contact me if you have any information about the Johnson family.  Such a terrible loss. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know the 1980 crash happened, even though I was about 9 at the time.  My dad was on Duty that night in Turkey, and had a call to the states for his anniversary.  Called my mom and gave list of names and numbers to call for a few folks who were NOT on the plane.  He wound up basically locking down the entire communications for the base through him that night because there was a function that the higher ranking officers were at.

Interesting to find this in the depths of the internet.

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2011 at 8:40 PM, lmonkey43 said:

It is most definitely true. I unfortunately lost my beloved uncle in that crash. I was supposedly caused by a lightning strike.

I am looking for living relatives of the Dyess airmen lost in that crash. Please email me at [email protected].

I am volunteering my time for the Abilene Chamber's Military Affairs Committee, which is building the Dyess Memorial Park. You can read more about it here: https://dyessmemorialpark.org

On 12/28/2016 at 6:45 AM, bobdaley said:

I reported that he fell out based on a report way back in 2001 from Kim Anding, a crew member from Dyess in 1989.

He wrote "HE drop, 2 28 foot extraction chutes.Crew had to race track, relocked the platform then "forgot" to unlock it. Charles "Red" Alfred went aft to cut the extraction line and fell out"

Bob 

Bob, I am looking for living relatives of the Dyess airmen lost in that crash. Please email me at [email protected].

I am volunteering my time for the Abilene Chamber's Military Affairs Committee, which is building the Dyess Memorial Park. You can read more about it here: https://dyessmemorialpark.org

• 7 months later...

My name is Mary Barnette.  My father was Lt. Col Ben Barnette, navigator of the C-130 that was lost outside of Incirlik AFB, Turkey on March 14, 1980.   We were told that it was a lightening strike that took down the plane.  We had just moved from Incirlik AFB the summer before to Abilene.  I remember there being alot of military unrest in Adana.  We lived on the main street of Adana and  the brick wall around our apartment complex had been dynamited leaving a large hole in it before we left.  There were several military parades on the street with tanks around that time.  I would not be surprised if the real story was a missile attack.  I hope it was lightening.  That is easier to swallow.  I just wanted to say that I am forever grateful to all of you who worked in the mud protecting and identifying our loved ones remains.  I have visited the memorial at Dyess AFB.  It is very nice.  Thank you to those of you who created that to honor our fallen.   I am told that there is also a memorial plaque at Incirlik that the crews salute every time they enter the building.  I am so honored to know that you still take the time to remember my father and his crew.  Thank you to all of you who have served.  God Bless.

• 7 months later...

Perhaps Plaprad you were living under a rock. You should probably learn how to use google before you open your pie hole! I had flown 17 hours of flight time from Dyess to Goose Bay Canada then across the pond to Mildenhall England. That plane landed with only 2 write ups. It was spare for the next day and sure enough off they went. My best friend was one of the Crew Chiefs on that ACFT and the night before he left he had asked me to be the best man in his wedding that would never happen! I’ve read so many accounts of what happened that it makes me sick to my stomach. Turkey is a shithole and that’s my opinion from experience. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2015 at 6:37 AM, Jim Caudill said:

Mr. Caudill (and anyone else who might have information),

My father, Thomas Terrell, was killed in the 1982 crash. He was a civilian. I know very little about why he was there and on that flight. I'd really like to find out more. I appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.

• 5 months later...
On 9/4/2016 at 11:52 PM, warrior41882 said:

I was stationed with the 453rd OMS Dyess AFB 81-83. 

I worked ISO, however being an airman that lost strips before I got them 

I was working the Wash Rack that week with Airman Williams. (we're still best friends)

April 13 1982 AC,74-1678 crashed over turkey. I forget what time it was when we heard, 

We all knew it was Pam's plane, hit me hard as she had kinda taken me under her wing. 

As I remember Airman Mark Deerzack was also on board, however I can find no info on that. 

I was at the funeral, I especially remember the C-130 fly over. 

Something is very odd as I found an old Turkey news paper clipping referring to that crash, Same date, 

same engine separation result everything except the names of the dead. Mark Nor Pam are listed. 

Just discovered this thread. Yes, my brother, Mark Dzierzak, was on that flight. I spoke with him a few days before. I know his name was listed on a plaque at an Abilene hospital or clinic. A long time ago. Miss him every day. 

• 9 months later...

My brother was Airman Mark Allen Hunstad, he died on the March 14 1980 crash. Mark was a member of the band Ballse', he was the lead singer. I was 16 at the time of his death. He talked highly of the other band members and the friendship they had. We have several cassette tapes of the band playing. They loved to play rock and were anti-disco which was all the rage at the time. It's fun to listen to them play, the crowd really got into the songs. I've always wondered if any video existed of them playing. God bless all those who died that day. In ways it still feels like yesterday! If any family members would like to talk, I would love to share any stories. Mike Hunstad - 319-310-8580

• 6 months later...

I was stationed at Det 98 Erzurum Turkey when the C130 crashed. Carl C.Carr I knew personally. I have his last photo that I took before we left to meet the C130 at the air field. If a family member sees this you can contact me and I will send it. Also our mess hall was named Carl C. Carr Hall in his honor. I was a Spec.4 in Erzurum 1979-1980. Louis Erthal

• 6 months later...

Have thought a lot about the 1980 crash.you see my band, country unlimited, was supposed to go on the first flight around the sites, but, due to an alert, all our members could not go. We played at the club that night when they told us the plane had gone down. All lost. I had heard the lightning or missile cause as well. Still I wonder. I rotated before any other morale flights, if there were any. I was saddened by loss of life, especially their drummer because he was not military, we know we take a chance every day, he didn't have to. And then it hits that that could have have my band...me...and that is sobering. To their families though it was long time ago, sorry for your loss. 

I cant believe I finally found something about that event. Reading has brought back a lot of emotions. 

I was ssgt jim howard, air transportation air freight, whatever you want tocall it.