Nose Wheel Shimmy.

joemontyb

http://herkybirds.com/herkapedia/index.php?title=Lockheed_Service_News

Look at Volume 12, number 4. It has troubleshooting steps for fixing a NLG shimmy problem.

As it will state, shimmies are the result of more than one cause. Something must initiate it and something must permit it to happen. Since the hydraulic system has a shimmy damper in it, then fixing only one thing does not actually fix the whole problem.

is it on taxi or take off? If on take off, is Nose wheel armor installed? We had one that the armor was sagging on one side and gave a shimmy. didn't really think to look at first because the armor was already tore up from the wheels.

This is a list of components we have changed.

Nose Strut

Tires 4 sets

NWS actuator

Checked rig on nws cables

Trunnion bearing

Main wheel bearings

Steering Control Valve

I think the Steering Control Valve fixed it. I will post the results when I know it"s a good fix. Thank you for the help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Future info if your problem reoccurs. Don't use the same torque wrench to tighten the wheel bearings as you did the last time. We had a nose wheel shimmy problem and found it to be the torque wrench calibration was way off and the bearings were not torqued and caused the shimmy at high speeds. Just a thought.