Iron lung outlets

130eng

My guess is that in the 50's when the herk was a brain child there was a lot of Polio going around,my little sister had it when she was three months old still all crippled up. My sister lived in a iron lung for two years.

Edited by EClark

The iron lung is a negative pressure breathing machine that allows the patient to breath if they can't do it on their own. The positive pressure machine wasn't invented until the early 50's, and you know how long it takes for the military to catch up on technology. So, any wounded personnel could be put into the iron lung during transport to insure oxygen intake. That's my take.

The Iron Lung Outlet originally was to power the Iron Lung as has been suggested here. To be honest though, I never saw an Iron Lung on a C-130, but then again, those were before my time.

In recent years, the Iron Lung Outlet has been used for the Vanner Inverter which inverts the 28 VDC to 110 VAC 50/60 Hz. As you may know, the 110 VAC onboard the C-130 is 400 Hz cycles.

The Vanner allows the use of equipment (in particular medical equipment) that is not rated at 400 Hz.

On the other hand, the Impact 308M patient suction was designed to operate on 50-400 Hz. and therefore could be plugged in directly to the 110 VAC outlets of the aircraft because the suction had been modified.

Tiny Clark has it right. I had a medi-evac out of, I think Pleiku, that included a guy that had been in a tank accident. He was in an iron lung and we secured him just in front of the paratroop doors behind the last litter stanchion and they pugged him into the aft outlet. If you grew up in the '50s most everyone was familiar with an iron lung...Times have sure changed! Now we worry about pig flu...

Didn't the ABCCC capsule plus intothose outlets?

Actually the capsule had an external power cord just like the power units, and it plugged into a socket on fs 245.

You had to have at least two engines up and online to power the capsule as it needed both Main and Ess AC, but at the moment I don't remember just how the power was distributed seeing as how I left the ABCCC 20 years ago. Always a good way to get back at an RO that pissed you off, kick all their equipment off just by downspeeding the last couple without telling them:D

I may still have the partial -1 upstairs somewhere but god only knows where.

Dan

Tiny, thanks for the pdf.

Is that for the old capsule or the new capsule? I don't know if they changed the power supply system for the new capsule as it was still in development when I left in 89.

Dan

I don't know Dan, it's the only book I have, change 3 in Sep 2000. I never worked on the stuff myself.