It Flies! Congrats to Boeing

118th AES Retired

It flies!

My son and I just watched history in the making as the Boeing 787 took to the air for the first time. Congratulations Boeing.

When will Lockheed (aka Lackheed) take to the air with a new heavy lifter? Or even a light lifter for that matter?

Well, Airbus may have the A400-M, but Boeing has the 787 which also shows promise.

Now, if the Pentagon just makes the right decision and goes with the Boeing tanker vs. the Airbus.......

Congratulations to Boeing. Not only does it fly, but the 787 lands!

The 787 is leading the way in composite large airplanes.

Of course, there are a lot of things yet to be learned, and developments yet to come about.

Just imagine someday, a C-130 that is mostly composite and think of the possibilities: Increased Speed; Higher Lifting Capacity; Fuel Efficiency; etc.

Will Boeing make the next C-130? Or will Lackheed learn?

Do you know if Boeing is building anything large that will compete with the Airbus A 380?

Dan

The 747-8

Boeing (after buying out McD) had in its hands the MD-12 and also had a concept that was in this same category called the Boeing NLA and decided to do nothing with it. I think it was a good call. The A380 is a very large aircraft and right now they are selling seats because of how new and unique she is... but this will die down. The 747-8 will do fine to compete.

The 747-8

Boeing (after buying out McD) had in its hands the MD-12 and also had a concept that was in this same category called the Boeing NLA and decided to do nothing with it. I think it was a good call. The A380 is a very large aircraft and right now they are selling seats because of how new and unique she is... but this will die down. The 747-8 will do fine to compete.

What are the differences in the -8 model?

What are the differences in the -8 model?
To the 747-400s? The -8 is 18.3 feet longer then the "older" -400 plus she will be getting new wings, more weight reducing composites and more powerful/more fuel efficient engines.

Added 13ft in the wing length

max takeoff weight has gone from 875,000lb to 975, 000lb (but empty weight also was increased from 406,900 lb to 472,900lb)

She has extended her range over the 747-400ER from 7670 nm to 8000nm

and her engines (GEnx-2B67 produces 66,500 lbf) has been increased 7000lbf-3200lbf depending on engine option for the 747-400

The 747-8 looks like she will be able to keep going well into the future.