MLG problems

Steve1300

I am trying to do a bit of research on C-130 main landing gear malfunctions. It seems to me that operation in the Mideast has its own unique problem areas. Those of you who are involved in C-130 operations in sandland: are you experiencing any problems with gear that will not retract or extend? Is the problem exacerbated by cold temperatures?

Thanks for any information.

• 4 years later...

It should not be affected by cold temperatures. I have not found it's connection so far.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that things will not be affected by the cold. It all depends how cold. I've heard where the units operating in Operation Cold Freeze have experienced problems in the past with gear retraction due to the grease becoming extremely stiff and not operating as designed/advertised. All depends on if the respective grease used is designed to be used in extreme cold environments.

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem with really cold temps is strut leaks and you can say the same thing for sand. I think there's an actual number but i've forgotten what it is but when the temp gets below freezing you might want to stuff a preheater hose in the WW before TO. In sandy conditions when the struts aren't wiped down the grains of sand can scratch the chrome/damage seals, again, to cause strut leaks. As far as the raising or lowering of the gear...just make sure the tracks and ballscrews are cleaned regularly.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that things will not be affected by the cold. It all depends how cold. I've heard where the units operating in Operation Cold Freeze have experienced problems in the past with gear retraction due to the grease becoming extremely stiff and not operating as designed/advertised. All depends on if the respective grease used is designed to be used in extreme cold environments.

At least in the early days of the 130 there were elec.powered blankets avaliable to install in the M/W/W to keep things warmed up for reliable gear operation.Jack screws had to be cleaned and oiled and as said strut oleos wiped down and lightly oiled.