Long time lurker, New member

Herkloadie

First off, hello everybody! I've been lurking this site for a while, as I, as well as most of you, are addicted to "herk". :D

I work/live near the 179th base in Mansfield, so I have the pleasure of hearing the mighty Hercules rumble over quite often. :) Man are we gonna miss those things. :(

Now, the reason I am really here as a member so soon (as opposed to my return from tech school), is that I desperately need anyone's help who is willing and able.

I am currently "in the process" of enlisting with the 910AW in Youngstown, hopefully as a loadmaster. I would be signed and at BMT already if it was up to me.

Here's what happened:

Late Sep 09: Went to MEPS, got dq'd altogether and a 3P in my PULHES on account of a left vericocele. I was devastated as I was thrilled about the prospect of being a loadmaster on the Herk. I passed all other tests, including color vision, depth perception, yada ya, and got a 93 on the ASVAB.

Took 5 weeks, but finally early Nov 09, I received a call that I had received a waiver for my condition. Happiest I'd been in a long time. However, the Air Force requested a current exam for "monocular acuity" to be considered for flying status. I was confused because I thought I did this at MEPS, but "whatever it takes". No problem. Promptly went to the eye doc, and sent in my gleaming report.

Add some more wait, and my recruiter informs me that I have been dq'd for flying service...on account of my condition. The original plan was to get me a date to go back to MEPS so they could take a further exam. I didn't really desire to go back, but "whatever it takes". Within a few days, I was informed that my MEPS doc (extremely let's say "mean") has "wrote a statement" on my condition and no return was needed. Needless to say, HQ AFRC said no flying until I'm surgically corrected, leaving me with two options: 1. Expensive surgery, or 2. enlist as a non-flyer, and "try" (no guarantees on acceptance for flight status, which worries me) to cross train later on down my enlistment.

I went to a urologist, and explained my story thus far. He was astounded that the condition was of any concern to the military. An ultrasound was done on me, and after receiving the results, he wrote a lengthy letter to HQ AFRC basically stating that the condition in no way affects my ability to do anything, and he can hardly believed I'm being dq'd for such a minor thing.

My recruiter forwarded that, and they basically disregarded my urologists letter, and requested more information on my condition's size. "Yeah we didn't really look at the letter, but give us some more stuff."

This is in the works right now, but I'm fairly certain I will get dq'd as it isn't very small. So now I'm working on contingency plans.

I've never been more taken off guard. I consider myself to be a well-kept and well-calculated individual in great shape. I was originally planning on getting a degree while enlisted, seeking a commission, and applying for a pilot slot. I'd now be thrilled to enlist as a 1A2.

Now, I don't know if any of you know what a vericocele is, or if any of you have one. Sparing the details, it is an entirely benign condition that may or may not affect you. At it's worst, it can cause moderate pain and/or mild infertility, but I know for a fact I do not suffer from the former, and the latter is yet to be determined.

To prove my physical well being (and I am really not trying to be conceited here; just stating my facts), I have just graduated high school in 09 with celebrated Cross Country and Track careers. I ran at Regionals (last step before state) all four years of high school, and individually qualified from Districts my sophomore year. My team won our first ever XC conference title with myself in the lead my junior year, placing third. We got second at districts, second at regionals, and went to state as a team our first time in school history. Later my junior year, I placed 7th at the Regional 3200m (2 mile) run. Not a big track guy. My senior XC season, we won our second ever team conference title in school history, me leading the way again, in first place, also our school's third ever individual conference title. We won our first district title, but bombed at regionals. Senior track wasn't much other than winning the 3200m at conference.

Long story short, I believe I am a highly capable individual in excellent physical shape. My vericocele never ONCE affected me.

Needless to say, I'm pretty well disappointed and haven't been in too great of a mood since. I deferred college this year on the premise that I would spend the spring and summer training, and I would resume school this fall. Talk about a wrench in the works.

Now comes the decisions:

Once I am (likely) dq'd from flying status, what should I do to fight it? I know it is "final" but I refuse to accept defeat.

I could:

1. Enlist in Mx (or other, but at least Mx would put me with the planes, which is where I need to be) and then later cross train. My heart really isn't in Mx at all, and I tend not to do so well when my heart isn't in it, which I feel wouldn't be fair to the USAF or myself. I could be wrong on this count. My heart tells me to fly. Also, there is zero guarantees that I will receive flight status after being enlisted a year or two, which isn't exactly my idea of a good chance.

2. I've also considered trying to connect with the base commander, to see if there's anything he could possibly do. I do well in interviews and I'm confident if he has the power to get me qualified, he would feel no remorse doing so. I would be willing to show up for a UTA weekend and do PT to prove that I am not "limited".

3. Contact HQ AFRC directly. I don't think this is too great of an idea.

4. Contact General ________. I'm also not to hot on this one.

Also, as a "side" (haven't told my recruiter) thing, I've been in touch with a retired AFRC KC-135 pilot, who I *just* (luckily) happened to run into at work one day. He's an incredibly nice guy, and is still a pilot for Chatauqua and an aero sports team. He's gotten some information on my case, and is gladly taking it to the medical folks he knows to see what they can do for me, if anything.

If you've made it this far, thank you so much for listening. It's becoming a very long winded story, but my passions and desires keep me going. I have never been a quitter, and I'm not starting now.

Any advice/assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. I mean that from the bottom of my heart, because like I said before, "my heart tells me to fly", and I don't see anywhere I would be happier.

Once again I thank you all for listening. Sorry for the long post. :o Ever since the possibility came into view for me, being on the crew of a C-130 is all I've wanted to do, and I would be more than honored.

Thank you,

Alexander

Edited by Herkloadie

My hat is off to a young individual that is so dedicated to wanting to pursue a career as a flight crew member on a fine ol machine. I will keep you in my prayers that things go your way. We can make a president out of anything but we keep dedicated folks away from what they want to do. Keep up your determination !

Well, thank you sir. :) I wish the Air Force would realize this. They may have a different perspective on my potential enlistment. :(

Looking back, the "monocular acuity" request seems to be that the board was 1. stalling on me and/or 2. trying to find other faults with me, so that they could build a more substantial case against me from flying. Pretty disgusting, as I know the Air Force of old wouldn't consider either. I've got the heart, desire, and ability to be an excellent flying member, so why not let me?!

If you read that whole thing, you're a brave soul. :P And of course, I respectfully return your salute, sir. :)

Don't everybody respond at once. :confused::confused:

I realize that you are desperate for help/advise but that is not a good way to encourage a response.

Contacting Generals, Base Commanders, HQ etc, is unlikely to yield results. In fact, it may be detrimental. I would suggest that you continue to pursue a waiver. Be polite and persistent but not so persistent that you become annoying. If that route fails, a career in maintenance is also an excellent choice. However, I would not suggest pursuing any career, unless your heart is in it.

I realize that you are desperate for help/advise but that is not a good way to encourage a response.

Contacting Generals, Base Commanders, HQ etc, is unlikely to yield results. In fact, it may be detrimental. I would suggest that you continue to pursue a waiver. Be polite and persistent but not so persistent that you become annoying. If that route fails, a career in maintenance is also an excellent choice. However, I would not suggest pursuing any career, unless your heart is in it.

I apologize. I stepped out of line...desperation at its worst. :(

Thank you for your advice. I will likely not seek any of the listed officials...although it doesn't seem right to me, I think you know more than I on this topic.

I have already received a waiver for service. They granted me a waiver, and then requested more information on my vision to be considered for flying status, which was odd because I thought I had completed everything at MEPS. Looking back, it almost seems like they were stalling on me for some reason. So after I submitted the vision information, they pretty much entirely disregarded that, and told me I was not qualified to fly.

I may be new to this, but it smells funny to me. :(

Well first of all let me say "Welcome out of the shadows"15384.gif

Maybe I can give you a little help here, I had over twenty permanent waivers by the time I finally was medically grounded after my thirtieth brain embolism 125.gif

Let your recruiter know what’s going on, he may know some connections, or knows someone who does have the connections, a good recruiter does.

He gets some really nice pocket coin to headhunt you guys, put him to work and if he don’t want to, then walk out.

Don’t let him bully you into signing on the dotted and “try to get there laterâ€.

He’s there to kiss your butt, not the other way around and if he doesn’t want to play ball then take his quota to another recruiter.

You don’t owe him anything and there are plenty of recruiters out there.

BUT

I would say the first thing you need to do is get yourself smart on what criteria they are using to medically judge you on.

AFI 48-123 Medical Examinations and Standards, plus the supplements.

Not only do you need to look up the initial enlistment physical standards but the initial Class III flying physical standards as well

Here is a link to DoDI 61304, which lists the enlistment physical standards.

http://biotech.law.lsu.edu/blaw/dodd/corres/pdf2/i61304p.pdf

I found nothing in this one that pertains to any restriction to enlistment with your condition.

On to the flying side.

Download this pub:

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI48-123.pdf (Medical Examinations and Standards)

And this pub:

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFI48-123V3_AFMCSUP_I.pdf (Medical Examinations and Standards Vol 3 – Flying and Special Operational Duty)

(here is the base URL for this series of Pubs: http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/?txtSearchWord=48-123&rdoFormPub=rdoPub

A quick runthrough, I found the following:

AFI 48-123

Chapter 6 Page 53

6.1.3. Medical Evaluation Scope.

……

6.1.3.1.4. For the following initial exams the examining flight surgeon handles disqualifying defects in the following manner:

6.1.3.1.4.1. Complete all Flying Class I and IA Undergraduate Flight Training (UFT), Initial Flying Class II (Flight Surgeon (FS)), FCIIU, Initial Flying Class III,…..regardless of the nature of disqualifying defect. Send completed SF 88/DD Form 2808 and SF 93/DD Form 2807-1, and all allied documents to the appropriate certifying authority or requesting agency, such as MPF, Air Force Recruiting, AFROTC Detachment, etc. The examining flight surgeon completely identifies,

describes, or documents the disqualifying defects and enters demographics and disqualifying diagnosis into PEPP and AIMWTS, include a brief AMS with pertinent information, signs, dates and forwards to certification/waiver authority as defined in Attachment 2. These exams must not be disqualified at the base but must be completed and forwarded to the certification/wavier authority. Note: All IFCIII physicals are required to have color vision, depth perception, height, hearing, distant and near visual acuity testing results recorded even if a specific AFSC does not require the standard to qualify for a particular career field. Results must be recorded and information put into PEPP and AIMWTS.

6.1.3.1.4.2. Forward aeromedical disqualifications to the MAJCOM/SG for review and disposition. Local medical facilities do not have disqualification certification authority.

The way I read it, the fudge packer at MEPS cannot deny your job, he can only pass the paperwork up the line. If ACS (Aeromedical Consultation Service) recommended to AFPC to grant your Class III waiver, and AFPC DID grant the waiver then your getting the jerk around.

At least that’s what I got out of it but I have not read through these pubs completely in six years so defiantly don't take that for gospel, make sure you give them a real good read over.

From Chapter 6, Page 89

6.44.21.21. Large or painful left varicocele. Any right varicocele, unless significant underlying pathology has been excluded.

This is from AFI 48-123 Volume 3 section 4 page 57 Flying class III

A4.22.22. Large or painful left varicocele. Any right varicocele, unless significant underlying pathology has been excluded.

All these two mean is that a waiver is required to pass a class III flight physical, but then again you already knew that.

I cant categorically say so but from appearances, you may be getting screwed, remember a couple of things.

1) You aint in yet, so you don’t have to worry about treading water and being afraid to piss someone off.

2) Don’t let them conn you into signing up for a job you don’t want without making damn sure that all the bases are covered and that your getting screwed LEGALLY and by the regs.

3) Don’t be afraid of your recruiter, if he says something fishy – find out, always remember these guys compete against each other for quotas (you’re a “quotaâ€).

4) Try to see if you can get a copy of the “waiver†in your hands.

5) Dont go out of your way to piss people off but dont let yourself get screwed even if you do have to piss in some cornflakes.

And

6) If you try and try and it seems like your going to get screwed no matter what, write to you congressman and get a nice complaint worked up, you would be surprised at what that would do (I know what it does, often and repeatedly:D )

If you want to get ahold of my, my home email is [email protected]

In closing I always found the following part of the waiver standards for the following kind of humorous,

5.3.10.2.6. Penis. Amputation of. When urine is voided in such a manner that clothing or surroundings are soiled, or results in severe mental symptoms.

I would think that if you Johnson got schwacked off, and you DIDN’T have severe mental symptoms that would be the disqualifier LOL.

Best of luck man

Dan

Dan,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I've been practically begging my recruiter for any little opening I could possibly wiggle my way through. She's consistently been a "the board says this, and there's no chance getting them to think twice". It's almost like she doesn't care if I enlist, and if I do, she doesn't care if I'm flying.

I guess I did already "play ball" with her in the respect that when she told me about maintenance jobs, I said "well, we might talk about that when every one of my resources are exhausted trying to get this one." AKA "Nope, not givin up yet, sweetheart."

I really do appreciate your research on the medical standards for the Air Force! I've been poking around trying to find physical requirement documents, but me being new to this, don't have a clue what I'm looking for. :o

Looking at DoD 61304 I found this:

E1.13.9. Hydrocele (603.9). Left varicocele (if painful), or any right varicocele

(456.4).

It seems that the DoD recognizes "vericocele" as "varicocele".

Also, it seems like I've kinda been screwed at least as far as 61304 goes. My varicocele is not painful, and never has been.

The 61304 is just physical requirements for enlistment right?

Looking at AFI48-123 it does appear as if I'm legally in the red(?)

Although, maybe somebody can explain how this works, because I don't understand. If I'm given a waiver for this condition, then how can they knock me from flying status? I thought the waiver was the golden ticket?? Is there a way to get a "waiver" for flying status at this point?

I guess this is where I show my greenhorns...

The way I read it, the fudge packer at MEPS cannot deny your job, he can only pass the paperwork up the line. If ACS (Aeromedical Consultation Service) recommended to AFPC to grant your Class III waiver, and AFPC DID grant the waiver then your getting the jerk around.

I'm fairly sure the fudge-packer (that description fits) at MEPS isn't the one giving me hell on my job, besides the nice "statement" he wrote for me. I thought that was pretty unfair, because I thought the point of my return to MEPS was to get kind of a "second opinion" but instead I got the first opinion, again, in writing. And he wrote the thing over a month after my exam! So how is that straight??!!

I'm not exactly sure who granted my waiver. I guess I'll need to discuss that with my recruiter. She'll be surprised I'll have a little more knowledge on the workings of this than I did before.

Keeping it short, I read and considered all of your numbered points. Very interesting thought on the hard copy of the waiver. I'll ask my recruiter for that as well.

So far, it seems like I already have been pissing in somebodies corn flakes, the difficulty I'm having. It honestly feels like somebody upstream is trying to stop me from flying status at any cost.

I'm surprised that the congressman talk is actually a good idea, but I trust your input. This brings an interesting facet because I just happen to have a relative who campaigned for our congressman. Does it matter if there's a (D) or an ® beside his name? :eek:

I would think that if you Johnson got schwacked off, and you DIDN’T have severe mental symptoms that would be the disqualifier LOL.

See and this, the way I see the operation working, would probably be a condition that would be easy to get a waiver for. Only makes sense. :confused:

Thank you again for your input. I'll get the recruiter on the phone and start reading 48-123 and its supplement...see what she thinks.

Alexander

A congressman is a congressman, you dont even have to use your own and can send a complaint out to any one of the congressmen or all of em.

However you will get better answers usually with your own local dude.

The waiver you have gotten may be for enlistment and not for your flying class III physical. That is a real good reason to look at the waiver and see what publication it references and who approved it.

Good luck

Dan

A congressman is a congressman, you dont even have to use your own and can send a complaint out to any one of the congressmen or all of em.

However you will get better answers usually with your own local dude.

The waiver you have gotten may be for enlistment and not for your flying class III physical. That is a real good reason to look at the waiver and see what publication it references and who approved it.

Good luck

Dan

Roger that. Got on the phone with the recruiter yesterday and have a meeting next Thursday to 1. submit my letter and 2. discuss the whole case. I haven't had a meeting with her since before MEPS so it may be a crucial time to do so. She was much, much more accommodating today.

I inquired about the nature of my waiver, and asked if it would be necessary to get a "flying waiver" and she stated that's what we're shooting for right now.

So now, I wait. Getting used to that. :o

Thank you so incredibly much again. I definitely owe you and everyone helping some stories and pictures when I finally get on the mighty C-130. :D

Alexander

Edited by Herkloadie

Hello Alexander, and welcome to the site! This may, or may not help, but it's worth a try for you take a look at the following suggestions.

1) Contact (send a personal msg. on this site) to FLYBOY773. His name is Archie and is a good frind of mine, and Dan Wilson's. Archie is an FE at Youngstown, and could provide some insight for that locale.

2) Heed to the advice giving to you by the above members. Be persistent, but polite. NEVER burn any bridges! You will soon learn what a small community the Herk world is, and it is a valuable one to be a part of.

3) Keep accurate, and detailed records and notations on EVERYTHING! When asked for a document and/or info. on any call's/contacts have the info. immediately available. Not being prepared will be detremental for your case, and could result in your appointment(s) being re-scheduled 60 to 90 day's out.

4) As with any military specialty, you must learn to accept things as they come......the more you try to change something, the more frustarted you will get. Uncle Sam's Flying Circus is very set in it's way of doing things. Take the advice given and work with it!

5) Have a back up plan! Another specialty is a good idea. You are at a great age, and the re-training possibilities are quite possible. I wanted to be a pilot, but became a Nav due to my eyesight. I had a wonderful career, and had I been p***ed off at the world and just "given up" I would have missed out on one heck of great time!

6) KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! Do not get yourself down at any time! Those who stay on course get what they want in the end. I know a retired pararescueman that attained his goal/dream on his third try to get into that elite specialty......... If you want it, you will get it what you want, or have your back-up plan to get yourself known in the air force.

7) Word of Caution=====> From what you wrote, you are handling your personal life very well. KEEP YOUR TRACK RECORD ON COURSE! A DWI, arrest altercation, use of illegal substance(s), or a telephone call from an adversary is a sure way to lose it all.

Take care of yourself, and let us know how it goes buddy!

Kurt

Hello Alexander, and welcome to the site! This may, or may not help, but it's worth a try for you take a look at the following suggestions.

1) Contact (send a personal msg. on this site) to FLYBOY773. His name is Archie and is a good frind of mine, and Dan Wilson's. Archie is an FE at Youngstown, and could provide some insight for that locale.

2) Heed to the advice giving to you by the above members. Be persistent, but polite. NEVER burn any bridges! You will soon learn what a small community the Herk world is, and it is a valuable one to be a part of.

3) Keep accurate, and detailed records and notations on EVERYTHING! When asked for a document and/or info. on any call's/contacts have the info. immediately available. Not being prepared will be detremental for your case, and could result in your appointment(s) being re-scheduled 60 to 90 day's out.

4) As with any military specialty, you must learn to accept things as they come......the more you try to change something, the more frustarted you will get. Uncle Sam's Flying Circus is very set in it's way of doing things. Take the advice given and work with it!

5) Have a back up plan! Another specialty is a good idea. You are at a great age, and the re-training possibilities are quite possible. I wanted to be a pilot, but became a Nav due to my eyesight. I had a wonderful career, and had I been p***ed off at the world and just "given up" I would have missed out on one heck of great time!

6) KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! Do not get yourself down at any time! Those who stay on course get what they want in the end. I know a retired pararescueman that attained his goal/dream on his third try to get into that elite specialty......... If you want it, you will get it what you want, or have your back-up plan to get yourself known in the air force.

7) Word of Caution=====> From what you wrote, you are handling your personal life very well. KEEP YOUR TRACK RECORD ON COURSE! A DWI, arrest altercation, use of illegal substance(s), or a telephone call from an adversary is a sure way to lose it all.

Take care of yourself, and let us know how it goes buddy!

Kurt

Solid copy, sir. :) Thank you for the encouragement and advice.

I will definitely send Archie a PM to get his local input on this.

Who has a clue if any of this will work? Nobody, but if it does I know it'll be worth it. :D

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

Meeting with my recruiter went well. Made me feel much more at ease about the happenings. I was not-so-confident there for a while.

1. I have a solid copy of my waiver in my hands. Should I scan and post to have those-who-know-more look? Obviously all personal info will be blacked.

2. We discussed what would happen if I would be granted a flying waiver. I'd go back to MEPS to finish my flight physical, and...interview with the flight crew on base. :cool: I'd been looking forward to that interview for oh, five months now.

2a. Should I be granted flying status and accepted for the job, I can still get donked out at the physical inspections at Lackland, which brings us to 3a.

3. We discussed what options there are if I am not granted flying status. Turns out there's "Crew Chief Apprentice" (I think 2A5?) positions open as well, which would be my plan B, then get the operation under tri-care, and shoot for a cross-train later.

She talks about "cross-training" later in my enlistment like it's no big deal. Since I've never talked about it with anyone else I have to ask: Is this true? She said I would be allowed to cross-train when I reach the "5" level in my position, which I can understand.

3a. In the long chance that I get flying status, but then get medically dq'd at Lackland, she said all they would do would be to ask me what class I'd like to change to. No big deal...right? I assume not but like before, I've never heard otherwise. I am willing to do what it takes to get me on the airplane. And after all, I think the crew chief slot would get me flying occasionally anyway, right? :cool:

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and input. I truly appreciate everything. :D

Hi Alex

Go ahead and post a redacted scan of your waiver, or you can email it to me if you feel better about that ([email protected]) and I will give a look over and tell you just what it means.

As to the “Crew Chief Apprentice†gig, I am not surprised that there are positions open as there is always Crew Chief training slots open, the real surprise would be if the career field were full – don’t think I had ever seen that.

Just don’t get sold a bill of goods that it’s a tight thing to get into the Crew Chief job; it’s just the opposite.

If you get through your initial class III flight physical at MEPS, chances are very slim indeed that you would get bagged at Lackland. After your initial physical, you should only have to meet with a doc for a real quick “go over†when you report to training.

This is the same once you start flying, if you’re not due your annual physical, then they just need to fill out a new 1042 (medical clearance) anytime you report to a new base.

As to the possible cross training, I don’t know if its changed in the last couple of years or not but as a first term airman, you are almost guaranteed cross training if you want it after your first three years. Just DON’T re-enlist prior to getting the cross training approved (personally I wouldn’t until after your in your school), you will most likely not have enough time on your enlistment to qualify attending a school, so you “extend†your initial enlistment instead of re-enlisting. The thing is, once you re-enlist to your second term, all bets are off and they can bend you over if they want to.

Really glad to see that things aren’t looking as bleak as they could be.

Dan

Alexander, first your posts indicate that your desire to join the AF is greater than the AF appreciates. Commitment is everything in the flying world. Loadmaster is a good job. I'm a flight engineer at Youngstown and I can honestly say your post put my career in perspective.

I started my flying career in 93 and never had any problems medically. When I tried to go back in after a two year break, I had to get a waiver for my med condition. What I ended up doing was contacting the AFRC surgeon general. I don't have the number, but you should be able to find it. I would speak to them about this issue because they are the final authority.

The folks I have talked to down in Georgia were very helpful. They may not really have gotten your doc's letter. You might fax it to them and reference the med regs. If I understand it right someone gave you a waiver? Anyhow you could talk with them.

The wing commander would not be helpful most likely, but your congressman would be very helpful. The Honorable John A. Boccieri is actually a rep for Akron Canton, but he is a pilot at Youngstown and a US congressman. It wouldn't hurt to plead your case with him.

A loadmaster position is a good way to start your career and then you could work toward other crew positions such as engineer, nav or pilot. If you went in to maintenance then if you crosstrained you'd be at the mercy of Wright Pat's active duty clinic as ours does not do initial class III's. Wright Pat cost me an earlier school date because they played Johnny Numbskull with my paperwork and treated me like a noob!.

So I would take the advice of others on this forum and politely, forcefully contact everyone you can. Build a resume of all your accomplishments, attach the pertinent paragraphs of the reg that says your condition is no big deal. I just looked at the medical waiver guide (I can send you a copy) and can't find anything about your condition. Attach whatever you can find and write a nice letter to the congressman in your district (Tim Ryan if your a YO) and also Boccieri. The more paperwork you attach that indicates it's no big deal the better.

Lastly don't give up. I've seen many people fight for a couple of years before they've gotten in. In the meantime you can go to school and do well. That will build your credibility with the people you deal with. And I echo the statement to stay out of trouble of any kind. That will permanently end any chance, even if it's a minor infraction.

Sorry it's long winded. I just wanted to throw out all possible thoughts because i've been in a similar situation. Good Luck.

Years ago I was rotating back from Asia and sought to return to my last duty station. The USAF felt I was better needed at a different base. I sought the help from my "Congressman" and he agreed to help and contacted the USAF on my behalf. It really caused a BIG DEAL. I was called in and asked why I insisted on getting Congress involved in a USAF personnel issue, yada, yada, yada. Long story short. The USAF HQ lied to the Congressman and I went to my earlier assigned base way.

DO GO UP THE CHAIN OF COMMAND TOO FAR. IT WILL CAUSE MORE HARM THAN GOOD.

When I was discharged I went to meet and explain to my Congressman what happened. He was not too surprised and apologiezed. He was running for re-election so I shigned on as a volenteer and helped him win another term.

Well, it looks as though my perseverance has paid off. :)

I was informed today that AFRC/SG has approved my flying waiver...even without a return to MEPS to finish my class III that I started 5 months ago. :cool:

I don't have the ability to type out a well thought, individual response to the latest posts, but I assure you all I read and considered them. I will still post a copy of my enlistment waiver when I get the chance.

What a great day. :D Thank you all for your kind advice and input. Everything has been greatly appreciated.

Next step? Get my interview with a flightcrew on base. Can't wait!

Quick question for h2engineer: do you happen to know who was on the crew that went to the Cleveland Air Show this past year? Long story short...I was looking through the 910th herk that was the static display, and when I (finally) got to the cockpit, I had a conversation with who I think was the FE, but maybe could've been the loadie or nav. He's actually the one who gave me the business card for the Senior Recruiter after I was surprised to hear about open flightcrew slots. I'd like to maybe catch up with him. Nice guy.

I'm not sure who you spoke with, but I could ask around. I'm glad to hear that once the AFRC/SG actually got the paperwork they did what they do best: evaluate the individual and get it right. I'm sure you'll have no problems given the amount of work you've put into it already. I hope to see you around the squadron:) Any questions you might have about what we do don't hesitate to ask.

Kevin

As promised, a scan of my waiver is attached to this post. This waiver is for non-flying only. I guess I should ask for a copy of my flying waiver as well. I've blacked out non-essential and I've been told the area I highlighted with a red box is the actual "waiver".

It's not solid yet, but my interview with the flight crew is slated for next Tuesday, the 16th.

So here's my round of questions (you knew it was coming :P )

1. What should I wear?

2. What should I be ready to answer?

3. Should I ask questions?

I have already submitted my resume for review, and I can now boast about 7 months working the flightline here at Lahm. Singlepoint, overwing fueling, towing w/o a towbar, marshaling, aircraft radio communications, etc etc so I'm fairly proficient on the line. Will this be any factor?

Thank you all again. I know I sound like a broken record, but I couldn't ask any more of you all. :)

Alexander

Good Luck to you

Alles Gute und Herzlichen Glückwunsch

The "Chief" (E-9) you are to meet is most likely the Head Loadmaster for the squadron or he could be the squadron Chief.

Reserves and Guard units frequently interview prospective before dumping the money into schooling, that way they try to keep most of the deadwood out.

So after you meet the Chief you will most likely have another interview with the Commander and DO after you get the thumbs up from your prospective boss.

You seem pretty motivated and persistent, if you have that attitude in person I don't see any real problem in your interview.

Just answer the questions and don't BS, if you don't know an answer, then just say you don't know.

Keep us updated on your progress (gee guys, we get to raise us a baby loadmaster :)

Oh, once you get in and schooled and on your own then we can start working on your corruption:D Ya gotta have fun in life.

0140.gif

Dan

Good Luck to you

Alles Gute und Herzlichen Glückwunsch

The "Chief" (E-9) you are to meet is most likely the Head Loadmaster for the squadron or he could be the squadron Chief.

Reserves and Guard units frequently interview prospective before dumping the money into schooling, that way they try to keep most of the deadwood out.

So after you meet the Chief you will most likely have another interview with the Commander and DO after you get the thumbs up from your prospective boss.

You seem pretty motivated and persistent, if you have that attitude in person I don't see any real problem in your interview.

Just answer the questions and don't BS, if you don't know an answer, then just say you don't know.

Keep us updated on your progress (gee guys, we get to raise us a baby loadmaster :)

Oh, once you get in and schooled and on your own then we can start working on your corruption:D Ya gotta have fun in life.

0140.gif

Dan

Thank you, Dan.

I kinda figured that's the objective for the interview, which I understand.

I think the fact that I kept spraying the figurative water on the figurative hornets nest that is AFRC/SG should attest to my persistence and motivation. ;)

As for the "corruption" part, I've never objected to a little "fraternal bonding". :P

Will report back Monday night, likely!

Edited by Herkloadie