Anyone ever do this?

red07ss

I did it today and a lot of the guys got a real kick out of it.

- Pressurize the A/C to around 6 inMg (we were doing a drop check)

- Find a roll of toilet paper or paper towel

- Put a ratchet, or pen through the roll so it can spin freely

- Open up the old Sextant attachment point and hold the roll close to the hole (The attachment point is essentially a 6 inch diameter hole in the plane next to the crew door jettison handle)

- What happens is that the A/C pressure sucks the entire roll through the hole out of the top of the airplane to about 15-20 feet straight in the air

Here in Canada we call it the "Big Grey Whale" :D:D

Years ago on the old A model acft I had a oxegen hose fixed up so that I could vacum the flight deck on the last leg of a mission coming back in to Evreux. It did cause a lot of ear popping when the end got pluged.

how many nuts bolts etc were stuck in the tail?

If you had that kind of stuff on your flight deck floor you were not much of a crew chief. :eek: (Remember the FOD program?) And I never saw any damage to the tail or the top of the aircraft from doing this. :)

Apparently the 141's had that vacuum system installed for a few years until a nav broke open one of those plastic puzzles with the metal BB's inside. From the story the tail looked like someone took a shotgun to it, and the vacuum was quickly removed from service.

Well, in my many years of doing the TDY thing and flying along as MEGP, I've seen quite a few things go out the sextant port in the name of impressing some 'cutie' along for the ride.

The toilet paper being held on a broomstick (they wouldn't even attempt to use something that put their fingers too close to the spinning roll) going out through the port at light speed while flying along was pretty impressive. Apple cores, boiled eggs, etc. just weren't that impressive.

The crew member putting things through the sextant port were also really impressed when I said something to the effect of "Ah, ha, now I know why we have to change so many of them...and have to clean the port so often" They usually got a dumb look on their face and then I'd say "Yeah, the sextant and port are part of the systems I work on."

Most of the time they'd explain how it wasn't really hurting anything, blah blah...but they'd close the port and sit back down for a while. LOL!

BTW, I thought there use to be a vacuum on every C-130, or it was checked out from CTK to use on the road. The vacuum was about the size of a medium coffee can with a screen in the bottom (part nearest the tube that went through the sextant port) and a fairly long hose. Maybe I'm mistaken on this. (CRS kicking in again)

325X1

ALL, Christmas eve December 24 1969 (TSN-RVN) after a few too many beers after returning from in country TDY to recover Balls 6 from Soc Trang decided too have a little merry with C/C buddy, names are forgotten, to see if we could start fire works display except we forgot to open the hatch for the flare pistol as we proceeded!!! Needless to say sheet metal had extra work (unscheduled maintenance! It was funny than not so funny now its funny again!!!

Apparently the 141's had that vacuum system installed for a few years until a nav broke open one of those plastic puzzles with the metal BB's inside. From the story the tail looked like someone took a shotgun to it, and the vacuum was quickly removed from service.

True story except the way we were told it was a big bag of spare Pachinco machine balls and the vertical stab was almost shot off. They were, as the story goes, at .825 mach at the time. This whole story may be a "MAC" legend anyway...

When the airframes were streached the sextant port was covered by the URASI and "deleted" from the airframe.

Years ago on the old A model acft I had a oxegen hose fixed up so that I could vacum the flight deck on the last leg of a mission coming back in to Evreux. It did cause a lot of ear popping when the end got pluged.
You and T/sgt. Jim Darby.

Best use of the port was during unpressurized low level, when the radio operator was located forward of 245 at the top of the flight deck steps. Got himself about 18 inches of vacumn pipe and a flex tube for a summer trip to Thailand. Cut the end of the pipe at a 60 degree angle and stuck it out the sextant port. With the angle cut facing forward, he had instant private cool air vent. Rotate it 180 and he could vaccumn. Worked great for the first day low level, but the first nighttime, he got peppered with bugs! Didn't take long to rig a screen over the end of the tubing. Never saw him without it on a warm weather low level mission after that.

Mike

Ahhh the old toilet paper out of the sextant port, done it many times inflight myself. Boredom does silly things to you on long flights.

The hard boiled eggs went the way of the dinosaurs when they put the SKE radome up there on top.

Strangest thing I ever heard of put out the sextant port was a pilot.

He checked in to the 7th ACCS, then disappeared.

Several months later a hunter found him in his car with a garden hose from the tailpipe stuffed into the window.

He was cremated and willed that he be scattered out of a herk.

When the plane landed the crew chief went up on the top, took a finger of ashes that were on the tail and gave it a good lick LOL

I think I remember who the CC was, I think he is a member of the board here and if he wants to fess up to the cannibalism I will let him chime in :)

Dan