HC-130J First Flight

Herb

Received email: First flight of HC-130J scheduled for about 0900L tomorrow (7/30/10). Eric Thompson is one of the pilots. We think 7 USG guests led by Lt Col Martin O’Grady (Recapitalization Program Manager) and Mr Jeff Stanley (Deputy Director, SOF and Personnel Recovery) plus Lt Col Sean Farrell from SAF AQQU will observe the flight. ACC reps Vanik and Borowski will also attend.

Received email: First flight of HC-130J scheduled for about 0900L tomorrow (7/30/10). Eric Thompson is one of the pilots. We think 7 USG guests led by Lt Col Martin O’Grady (Recapitalization Program Manager) and Mr Jeff Stanley (Deputy Director, SOF and Personnel Recovery) plus Lt Col Sean Farrell from SAF AQQU will observe the flight. ACC reps Vanik and Borowski will also attend.

Eric is an old Talon I driver

Jim, I was up at Dobbins today around 3:30 PM and I guess it was you in that beautiful new gray bird flying downwind...congrats on providing great airframe to the AF.

Muff

Muff,

That was most likely us, we were coming into MGE about that time. I don't think another Herc was in the pattern. Pretty good looking airplane, I think.

Yea, it was you as I recognized the black patch at the lower front of the vertical stab...is that some sort of antenna? The real C-130s did not have that {:-))

Muff

That black patch is the vertical stab de-icing boot, it inflates with bleed air and balloons up to break up any ice on the stab.

Get off the wacky weed, this is the HF Antenna, been on the 130 since mid 80's.

RZ

HF antenna or not, there is a pneumatic de-icing boot at the base of the vertical on the outside surface of the black patch. Result of ice shape testing during FAA certification.

Dutch, I will post it in the humor forum; it off the web if you go to google image and search crew chief air force.

Bob, I'm doing fine, was medical retired about two years ago. I'm currently just another unproductive member of society as viewed by our overseers ;-) It been great concidering what I was putting up with the since 2006 at Charleston, the BSing, dishonesty, and lack of courage to do the right thing in some of the leadership there. Honesty I'm not bitter, really, really because I don't have deal with the Barney Fifes of AMC every time they shoot themselves in the foot any more. Glad to hear you doing fine.

Owen

Now back to your regularly schedule post "HC-130J First Flight"