HC-130J First Flight

Herb

HF antenna or not, there is a pneumatic de-icing boot at the base of the vertical on the outside surface of the black patch. Result of ice shape testing during FAA certification.

Here is a good picture of the de-icing boot its the lighter black area in the black patch above the HF antenna.

[ATTACH]1281[/ATTACH]

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-Martin-C-130H/1695494/L/

Couldn't figure out how to post a picture but if you look you can see the "de-icing boot" in the same place on the H as it is on the J. And I'm positive there is no boot on the H.

Do we have any J-model guys on here who can put this issue to rest and get back to the HC-130J discussion?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Air/Lockheed-Martin-C-130H/1695494/L/

Couldn't figure out how to post a picture but if you look you can see the "de-icing boot" in the same place on the H as it is on the J. And I'm positive there is no boot on the H.

Do we have any J-model guys on here who can put this issue to rest and get back to the HC-130J discussion?

The inflatable de-ice boot is on the C-130J models only. You will not find them on legacy aircraft. Ice shapes were glued to the leading edges of the horizontal and after flight testing it was determined that ice build up on the lower part of the vertical (not protected by bleed air anti icing) was not acceptable for FAA certification. Hence the birth of a pneumatic boot at the base of the vertical.

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression Lockheed was not building any more 'short' 130s; am I mistaken, or is the HC-J based on a short herk?

As stated the HC/MC-130J's are short birds. Also the KC-13Js are short, Oman just bought two short planes as well. The standard trashhauling Air Farce 130 I believe will only be the -30's, As these can fly, higher, faster, further, and with obviously more cargo than a short legacy 130, and without the need of external tanks, which are not on USAF J-30's either.

As stated the HC/MC-130J's are short birds. Also the KC-13Js are short, Oman just bought two short planes as well. The standard trashhauling Air Farce 130 I believe will only be the -30's, As these can fly, higher, faster, further, and with obviously more cargo than a short legacy 130, and without the need of external tanks, which are not on USAF J-30's either.

This is kind of confusing to me because the standard sized C-130J can fly higher, faster, farther, and with heavier cargo than the -30's. I guess it's the way you typed it that made me scratch my head, but you did say "legacy", so I guess that only covers E's and H's. We do have some standard sized C-130J trash haulers though. They started going exclusively C-130J-30 after the 99 model year I believe, because we usually run out of cargo room before we run out of cargo weight capacity on shortys. It's economics that the civilians have already figured out. I also believe the C-130J can be quickly modified with external tanks though. Just ask the Italians, and the Keesler guys, and the 193rd guys, and now the MC-130J guys.

Edited by Lkuest
Fix an inaccuracy

It's economics that the civilians have already figured out. Why else would they modify all their ex-military C-130's into stretches?

Lkuest,

I'm a little confused. I don't think the civilians modified any ex-military C-130's into -30's.

I agree with your point, though. The commercial market figured out many, many years ago that adding pallet space was the way to go. It's just $$$$. I'll never figure out the reasoning why the USAF, beginning with the FY 74 H-models, didn't order them as -30's.

Don R.

You'll have to forgive me. I was fumbling through the Production list a couple of years ago and came to a realization, and a couple of years later I forgot exactly what I had found. Apparently, it's all the L-100's still flying, with a couple of exceptions, were modified to -30's from the base L-100's and L-100-20's. I totally dropped the ball on that one, and I stand corrected. I also edited my post.

Lkuest,

I'm a little confused. I don't think the civilians modified any ex-military C-130's into -30's.

I agree with your point, though. The commercial market figured out many, many years ago that adding pallet space was the way to go. It's just $$$$. I'll never figure out the reasoning why the USAF, beginning with the FY 74 H-models, didn't order them as -30's.

Don R.

Hopefully some Herk operator will confirm this..but I was under the impression that the -30's are limited in some tactical events. As to why the MCJ, HCJ and KCJ are stubbies?...One of the main points are that the refuel pod hose only goes out so far...too much R&D to develop new refuel pods and hoses for -30J...There are other reasons as well.

Edited by HeyChief
spelling

• 2 weeks later...