Odds and ends

bobdaley

I have to agree it's RAF. The prop stripes are a give away along with the lack of defensive system sensors.

That incident happen in 1999 or 2000 it was a pre 5.4 software bird so it did not have def. systems yet. I know the crewchief that turn the soft panel off and did not checked for the NLG safety pin or the hard panel, the gear handle was in the up position on the hard panel.

it was a pre 5.4 software bird so it did not have def. systems yet. I know the crewchief that turn the soft panel off and did not checked for the NLG safety pin or the hard panel, the gear handle was in the up position on the hard panel.

OK, now I really feel like a dinosaur -- that sentence made no sense to me at all! Well, "NLG safety pin" I understood.

Don R.

I'm like DC10, I'm old and definitely don't know a thing about the J model but why would the gear handle be up on the ground and if its not classified what the devil is a soft panel--I thought the NLG pin was the first thing the FE installed once on the ground

Smitty

Yup it is, I know first hand it 97-1352 or 1354 I cant remeber wich of the two.

I'm not doubting HerkyTestTech at all -- in fact a friend of mine at Lockheed also told me it was a Maryland ANG airplane, but after going thru all my 97-1300 series photos, I can't believe that's an ANG airplane. Or else someone did a lot of Photoshopping on it. It has no unit markings on it, no US Air Force on the upper fuselage, no tail flash, no ANG on the MLG wheel well and no, what I have no idea what it is, the light forward of the escape hatch. Also, as someone mentioned earlier, the outline of the IFR boom and the red and white prop tips are RAF.

Don R.

Hmmm...

Photo in question has...

1. Red and white prop tips.

2. No Sensors

3. No Formation lights

4. Paint is either painted over or photochopped at points the RAF has markings NOT USAF.

Some photos of Maryland ANG Js.

97-1351

97-1352

97-1353

97-1354

1. NONE have red/white prop tips

2. ALL have sensors.

-(and don't give me and crap about them being removed and blank offs being installed. There is NO difference in paint where blanks off could have been installed from the original paint. )

3. ALL have formation lights.

4. ALL have markings where nothing is wrong with paint on photo in question.

OK, now I really feel like a dinosaur -- that sentence made no sense to me at all! Well, "NLG safety pin" I understood.

Don R.

I'll give it a whirl.

It was a pre 5.4 software bird, so it did not have defensive systems yet. I know that the crewchief turned the soft panel (the switch that made the software work?) and did not check the NLG safety pin on the hardpanel....

I'll give it a whirl.

It was a pre 5.4 software bird, so it did not have defensive systems yet. I know that the crewchief turned the soft panel (the switch that made the software work?) and did not check the NLG safety pin on the hardpanel....

Explain the red and white prop tips.

-someone got a wild hair up their butt to paint an aircraft outside USAF procedures?

Explain why there is no paint defect or cover up in places where USAF markings would be? BUT they are where the RAF would be?

-Parading around like a RAF aircraft in the dark of night?

Explain the lack of formation lights.

-Lockheed forgot to install them on some early model USAF Js? I believe the RAF is the ONLY J operator the doesn't have formation lights.

Not directed at Fräulein directly, but anyone who says this is a USAF bird...

I talked to my friend at Lockheed yesterday. He said the ANG and the RAF had nose gear retractions. I'm sure HerkyTestTech is correct; just not this photo. It's RAF, I'm sure. BTW, my Lockheed friend said the RAAF also had this problem. Perhaps someone from the Maryland ANG has a photo of their screw-up?

Don R.

I'm like DC10, I'm old and definitely don't know a thing about the J model but why would the gear handle be up on the ground and if its not classified what the devil is a soft panel--I thought the NLG pin was the first thing the FE installed once on the ground

Smitty

Smitty you are correct, but they forgot to install the FE on the J. :)

Jim