You have old to rember this.

cfisher

I was at CCK when I first saw anything official about the 5BX crap, but never knew anybody that actually had to perform!! We were always "in country", or somewhere around the Far East when somebody would start trying to implement the program.

By the way, what were the 5 "Basic Exercises"?? I can't remember, but I don't think lifting beers or running the local lovelies were part of them!!!!!

Ken

By the way, what were the 5 "Basic Exercises"?? I can't remember, but I don't think lifting beers or running the local lovelies were part of them!!!!!

Ken

Yeah, I remember that 5BX crap. I don't think flipping open your Zippo and lighting up a Lucky Strike was part of them either. BTW, I haven't had a cigarette in 24 years -- after putting away 3 packs a day for 30 years!

Don R.

Ah, good old 5BX. Another sterling AF program. In 1957 I was a 22 year old A/2c doing my 5BX, running the track behind an old MSgt, when he had a heart attack, fell down, and died right in front of me. Had never seen anyone die so it was very disconcerting. This experience pretty much formed my opinion of 5BX for the remainder of my career. Although physical fitness seems a very simple issue the AF continually tweaked it throughout my career and, in fact, still doesn't have it right. Recently, there was a requirement, now rescinded, that everyone have a 32 inch waist. You don't have to be an expert to understand how dumb that was. Yet senior leaders allowed this to become part of the AFI. Certainly makes one wonder. The issue that pissed me off the most, other than the uselessness of the program, was the inconstant enforcement. One sqd. ran it by the book while the next sqd. penciled whipped it. As an adjunct to 5BX was everyone's favorite, the fat boy program. Again, my bitch was inconsistent enforcement. Didn't think it quite fair that one of my NCOs was being reduced in grade when the overweight chaplain was not even on the program. The chiefs group discussed this issue with the wing commander, and it got better. My view about all the above BS is the AF spends too much time, effort and money on things that do nothing to increase readiness. Idea-- Perhaps the AF should consider installing a USMC Gunny in each sqd. to run phys. fitness. Rant over.

Don were you around when Engineers were actually trained to talk to their engine. Call the engine start. Do you remember in SEA.

when you called mabe 15 or 20 starts a dya???

Rg Glenn

Are you saying calling the engine start is no longer required ?

Yep, calling engine starts are a thing of the past.

The only place you will see it on a regular basis is at the schoolhouse.

The AF fitness program is a joke and has always been a joke, its only purpose is to get some pointyheaded officer promoted for "developing" a new an improved bit of idocy!!

The fat boy program is also a friggin joke, I have seen way to many folks that have had to get waivers because they are too muscular and hence too heavy.

When I joined the AF I was 6'2" and weighed 140 pounds and twenty years later I was still around 160 (and my max weight of 218) and I could never understand this stupid fat boy program, to me it should be more on appearance (even though that as well is subjective and ambiguous) and not on weight.

Don were you around when Engineers were actually trained to talk to their engine. Call the engine start. Do you remember in SEA.

when you called mabe 15 or 20 starts a dya???

Rg Glenn

Glenn,

When I was in SEA, I was a crew chief, but I remember the FE's calling the starts.

Don't know about Lynden or the other commercial Herc operators, but when I left Transafrik at the end of 1995, the FE was still calling the starts. I can still go through it in my head from "start valve open" to "peak TIT xxx."

Don R.

I found my 5bx booklet in my old stuff awhile back but did not read it. Everytime I get out of the shower and start drying off I remember being told or reading that by drying your backside and holding the towel by diagonal corners and sort of doing the twist,supposedly moving muscles and burning calories. If this is not true then it is the longest recurring dream I've ever had.