Cargo door

tinyclark

For what it is worth, and you "older gentlemen" already know, it used to be the Aero Repair and hydraulics was a separate responsibility area. AR schools taught electrics, hydraulics, and mechanical systems that we required to work doors, flight controls, and landing gear. However, I've been out for 20 years now, and I've been told that all that has changed.
When I was in the AR troops had the same AFSC as crew chiefs.

Was going to say that GVS, but you beat me to it. As the sqd. super I saw to it that crew chiefs and AR techs were rotated so as ensure there was AR experience on the flt. line and vice virsa. About 1982 we, along with the 20th TFW, became the last USAFE units to reorginize to POMO. This was very difficult for some people but in the end the best AMU chief was an AGE guy and the best crew chief was an attack radar troop. It was very gratifiying to see how well some people performed out of thier AFSC. On the other hand some found it difficult if not impossible to adjust. Several years later I had occasion to talk to a by then retired senior NCO unable to transition from an FMS shop to the AGS and in fact was so stressed he at one point considered suicide.