Hydraulic Mist

130eng

Skydrol is nasty stuff! I have had it in my eyes, mouth, and lungs. really makes me miss good old 5606. But, it does have a higher flash point and better erosion control capabilities in valves, actuators, etc etc.. Boeing, airbus, and Lockheed all use it. I'm only guessing that 5606 will eventually be phased out. Are the new J models useing 5606?

P.S. wash your paws before you go to the little boys room. especially when handling skydrol!

MIL-H-5606, we use to clean the valves and piston tops of flight line vehicles with it. Added through the carburetor and/or added to the fuel. SKYDROL, is some nasty stuff. Worked for Boeing Renton for a while and we were supposed to wear gloves when working with it. Seldom did. It seemed to be harder on some peoples skin than others.

Edited by The Red Stuff

Anyone know how flammable our hydraulic fluid is (87257/83282)? Just wondering how much danger an electrical spark could potentially pose in a hydraulic mist situation.

From what I heard, Brush Block fires were a hazard until they switched to the new spec. I have yet to see one catch fire, although I've seen them shoot sparks and electric bolts.