Vmca plus ...

Juan

Thanks, i was looking for a general safe addition to Vmca.

I can´t remember if it was like Vmca + 20 Kts.

Because if you remember, Vmca can increase as much as 18 Kt if you don´t raise the engine-off wing.

But I can´t find the correct figure. Maybe is just a non-written tradition in my Squad.

Thanks !

Juan

Argentina AF

The following is from the Lockheed "Slow Flight" handout.

"The Flight Manual air minimum control speed data are for a 5-degree favorable bank angle. An increase in airspeed is necessary to control the airplane if the favorable bank angle is reduced to a wings-level or adverse (into the failed engine) bank angle. The accompanying figures show the influence of bank angle on VMCA. For models with T56-A-15 engines, a 9-to-12-knot increase in minimum control speed above the Flight Manual value is necessary to maintain controllability with wings level. Air minimum control speed is increased 20 knots with 5 degrees of adverse bank at minimum flying weight and increases even more as gross weight increases. Similar increases are shown for models with T-56-A-7 engines.

Banking into the failed engine will cause the airplane to "slide off" to that side, increasing adverse sideslip which increases drag, reduces performance, and increases the risk of losing heading control."

Hello !

I have this un-answered question, if any can help:

How much do you add to Vmca for safe turns if you've lost one or two engines?

thx

Juan

"Used to be" 20 and 25 knots..so many flight manuals floating around out there nowadays...use whatever yours says in the emergency procedures chapter regarding flight under partial power or with one or two engines inoperative....if it just says not recommended; well that's what it is. My guess: yours still says 20 and 25 knots...

My $0.02

Quoting: FM 382C-14E

Turns into inoperative engine(s) are not recommended due to…..etc.

A 5-degree adverse bank angle (into the inoperative engine) requires an increase of 20 KIAS above the charted value at the lightest gross weight, increasing significantly with gross weight (37 KIAS at 140,000 pounds)……

Quoting: SMP777 (Flight Manual Performance Data)

Because of the powerful influence of bank angle on minimum control speed, it is important to maintain a bank angle away from the failed engine.

So:

1- It is not recommended to turn into inoperative engine(s).

2- If situation necessitate to turn to avoid (obstacle, fire/active zone, etc.. ) the 20 to 37 range above air minimum control speed is your target speed; the higher the GW. the higher the speed required to control the airplane)

(Note: air minimum speed based on 50% flaps= hi rudder boost pressure).

3- We are using 160 notes (50% flaps) as a minimum safe speed to turn towards the inoperative engine, this speed is compensating for the possibility of losing the other engine on the effected side during the turn.