Warrior James Graff

• 1 month later...

Capt. Graff was not the copilot, he was the aircraft commander. He was an IP and was in the right seat. He was an AC in the 779th at Pope and went to Tachikawa when the 776th was PCSed to PACAF. The navigator and engineer's family have recieved their remains but I don't know about the other pilot and loadmaster. The loadmaster was Billy Clayton, who crosstrained the same time I did. We went through training together. He was assigned to 3rd APS but somehow went on the PCS. If I remember correctly, the engineer, Wheeler, was also in the 779th. They flew into a mountain during a cargo flight from Cam Ranh to Phan Rang. The loss was written up as a combat loss because the airplane went down in a hostile area and there was no way to determine for certain that it was an accident. They were on vectors from a GCI site and it was believed at the time that the navigator wasn't monitoring their position to ensure terrain clearance. I was at Cam Ranh that night but they were operating out of Nha Trang.

• 2 months later...