what is this?

Gary Hebbard

I recently got a few close up shots of Herc 742134, a C130H-LM out of Dyess, assigned to AMC. As is visible in the attached photo, there are a number of pieces sticking out from the side of the a/c (possibly antennas of some kind?), including the landing gear doors. Can someone tell me what they are for. Also, does the suffix LM stand for Lockheed Martin or something else.

Thanks

Gary Hebbard

JET PHOTOS dot NET PIC #1

JET PHOTOS dot NET PIC #2

Here it's listed as an HC-130H. Though if Jet Photos is anything like airliners.net just because the designation is there don't make it right. <Scramble.nl database has it as a C-130H.

Though looking at the pics she's not a "plain jane" trash hauler. Extra antennae (SATCOM??) on the flight station escape hatch. Extra stuff on stbd paratroop door. Quick mod stuff as this PICTURE looks to be newer(latest I've found, as well) and all the "Extras" are gone.

I think the "LM" is a location code... (Not for sure.)

LM = Lockheed Marietta

LO = Lockheed Burbank < how an O was used vice a B, I have no clue.

Lars' book also does not have the "LM" designation; and that's the C-130 fan's bible!

Click here: Special Operations.Com - EC-130E "Senior Hunter"

Don R.

Don't mean it's right.

I think it has something to do with block numbers. I remember in the P-3 IPB manuals, Would be something like P-3B-LO then another number. This was looking in the block number section... Not in the Navy any more so can't check the manual.

Why have a location code, when for most part aircraft are built in the same location....

Though the first two C-130's were built in Burbank, and the last 8 P-3's were built in Marietta.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was at the Guard in Idaho when those were mod'd for Senior Scout. We went on quite a few missions with them all over the world. For a maintenance guy, not much room to work in the cargo area when the "box" was installed. We had to have the thinnest guy on the TDY to do any work in the hog trough. It was funny to have a sheet metal guy changing out a GPS receiver since he was the only one who could fit up there.

• 2 weeks later...

The first pic resembles the "BEAR" mission we flew in Panama with the Dyess crews. We just replaced the doors with ours and put a box in the back. I dont see the fler on the the air deflectors but that might have just been on our mission birds. "Pacer Coin"

Flew that mission during the "contra" era. The kit was installed on the incoming bird and you flew a bunch of 15 hour missions. Remember one time having a room above the Band in the NCO club. Acft was 62-1788 didn't get much sleep, lotsa flying. RZ