LOX and TO's

bobdaley

I'm stumped.

Bobby Hunter sent me some great pics of the 2 Herks in use at the Firefighter School at Goodfellow AFB. 61-2364 and 62-1794. They came from Sheppard to Goodfellow.

First question, I flew B's for 12 years. The B's we had all had oxygen bottles. There was no lox on any of them as i remember. Old timers?? Were there any B's with lox?

Second question, There was a lox service door, this is an E, 1794, but on the inside of the door there was a sticker, see attached pic, that says Reference T.O. 1C-130B-2-10. Does this mean that the TO is for B models only?

Does this TO apply to E models too? If it was for B models see question 1 above.

What made it more interesting is the tail on 1794 is from 58-07257 a B that had had been at Sheppard and now is a wingless tail less aeromed trainer at Camp Bullis.

If I remember correctly, that's the old "Ground Handling" TO. They used it before going to the OMMS system in the 90's. We actually have that book in our TO library. There's some cool stuff in there, alot more info than the new manuals.

It applies to B's, and E's I believe.

We used the B- model books for all the E's.

For example:

TO 1C-130B-2-9

FLIGHT CONTROL SYSTEMS

USAF SERIES

C-130B, C-130E, C-130H AIRPLANES

AF73-01580 THROUGH AF73-01598

TO 1C-130B-2-2CL-6

ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST

GENERAL AIRCRAFT APPLYING EXTERNAL POWER

USAF SERIES

C-130B, C-130E, C-130H,HC-130H/N/P

USCG SERIES HC-130B AIRCRAFT

If my “CRS” is not too bad today; all the “B’s” I worked on had a GOX system with cylinders/bottles. T.O. 1C-130B-2-10 was UTILITY SYS, and was the maintenance bible of MA (Mechanical Accessories), troops, though they went to being called ECS, ELEN and who know what today

Thanks for the above, one last question did the C-130B-II, the spook planes from Yokota and Rhein Main have LOX?

Bob

Bob, The C-130A IIs at Rhein Main had two 16 liter converters. There were two old type buildup and vent valves on the right side about chest high between the first and second fuselage portholes. Do not have first hand knowledge of the B IIs am guessing they were the same as the mission was the same. Someone told me after I rotated the configeration changed to one 30 liter converter. Our training acft. 54-1637 was pretty much a standard airlifter and it was gasous oxygen.

The books were always screwed up in their numbering. The E model had it's own IPB, but used the B model maintenance manuals. The E model maintenance manuals that were printed were for the AWADS birds, ie 1C-130E-2-8-1. Then the AWADS IPB was the E-4-3.

They liked to keep us guessing. When I was at Pope, they decided to remove all the secure voice info and wiring from one of the books, the number evades me, and put the wiring in a new book called the B-2-13-1. Unfortunately, when they rescinded the book, they never came out and told people to order the new one. Thank God for the T.O. guy in ISO, who hadn't shredded & thrown the old one out. Damn, I almost miss it.

• 6 months later...