Shredding Tires

130eng

It all depends on where you are landing, on a dirty runway or cement you have a pretty good chance of locking up a brake and blowing a tire but if you land on asphalt your chances of a successful landing are a little better.

The aft tires will blow first.

I'd say that it is at least a 50% chance of blowing a tire.

• Confused 1

You are not likely to blow a tire during a normal landings. If you watch your anti-skid lights, they seldom come on during a normal landing on a standard day. Only with slick runways, short runways, or unusual circumstances would the system ever take over.

Real heavy gross weights are a huge player in the anti skid cycling as well.

During FCF's your supposed to honk on the brakes until the anti skid cycles, BUT with the weight restrictions for a FCF you are never heavy enough to get the damn stuff to cycle.

I have had Pilots put all their weight on the binders and all you do is stop, no anti skid function

So I would say that if you have a normal bird, competent pilot and good runway you would only have to really worry about lacking anti skid on the heavier weight ops, normal to low weights I would give you a 10% risk factor operating without it. I am sure the old single disk brakes were hugely different but that's a guess.

BUT the -1 and command guidance requires the anti skid as a safety measure so you still have to have it operational regardless

I remember my first drill weekend with the 130th AW. MY boss said "here comes your plane". She was on final and her anti-skid was inop, and she blow her right aft main tire on the runway. First day on the job and got to jack up the plane and change the tire on the runway while the civilian birds flew in circles waiting. That was 88-1307 BTW.

Like I said, damage or not really depends on two things.

Gross Weight and Runway condition, a wet runway you could lock and skid pretty easy and same with a heavy gross weight.

But with a fairly light gross weight, like under a 100K the brakes tend to just stop the plane pretty damn quick before the brakes really have a chance to lock up.

Made FCF's hell, and almost every FCF I preformed I would have to annotate "unable to get anti skid action due to light gross weight"

• 6 years later...
On 5/22/2011 at 8:46 PM, wysongj said:

I remember my first drill weekend with the 130th AW. MY boss said "here comes your plane". She was on final and her anti-skid was inop, and she blow her right aft main tire on the runway. First day on the job and got to jack up the plane and change the tire on the runway while the civilian birds flew in circles waiting. That was 88-1307 BTW.

My Airplane was 6711. Good Times at the 130th AW I would do it all over again!

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2011 at 12:26 PM, Ben Legere said:

It all depends on where you are landing, on a dirty runway or cement you have a pretty good chance of locking up a brake and blowing a tire but if you land on asphalt your chances of a successful landing are a little better.

The aft tires will blow first.

I'd say that it is at least a 50% chance of blowing a tire.

Hello! why would the aft ones blow first? kindly guide.