64-0550 @ Naples

DC10FE

OK, it's been more than a year since I posted this request, but there are a lot of new members now who might be able to help.

Back in the late 1970's not long after the 37th TAS was reactivated at Rhein Main, 64-0550 was involved in a serious landing accident at the US Navy facility at Naples, Italy. The left MLG (I think) was torn out. It sat at Naples for a long time and was then temp repaired and flown to Lockheed for the permanent repairs. All I remember was that it was a co-pilot landing (Lt, Beal) at an extremely high speed. The airplane did a 180 and wound up off the end of the runway. Even the bottom of the horizontal stab was damaged so it must have been in quite an unusual attitude. I've corresponded with the FE, TSgt Billy Legg, but he doesn't have any photos.

Anybody out there remember that incident? I've seen the photos, so I know they're out there -- anybody? Thanks.

Don R.

• 1 month later...

DC10FE,

Found this on the old Hercules Headquarters Board. Bob left his e-mail as [email protected]. Don't know if it still is a good one but you can sure try.

Sonny

"I was reviewing my photo albums and came across pictures of 64-0550 when she crashed at Naples Italy (1977?). The photographs show the damage to the aircraft and skid marks on the runway. Is anyone interested in the photos? - - Bob "

Thanks, Sonny.

If I remember correctly, that post may have been a reply to a request from me a few years ago. I sent an email to that address and got a reply that he would send the pics, but never heard from him again. I'll try that address again. I'll let you know the results.

Don R.

Thanks, Sonny.

If I remember correctly, that post may have been a reply to a request from me a few years ago. I sent an email to that address and got a reply that he would send the pics, but never heard from him again. I'll try that address again. I'll let you know the results.

Don R.

Thanks, I would be interested in seeing the pictures too, if you get them.

Sonny

Don,

yeah I remember. Brings back a LOT of memories. The AC was my good bud Paul Bunt. Wonder where he is. And yes, Bill Beal was the co & Billy Legg was the FE. In a few minutes when I'm thru' w/ this post my brain will recall the Nav & LM. I bet Bill Legg knows anyway. I was in the 37th from start-up (1977?) thru' Jun `82. What was that -about 5yrs + some ? Anyway, I read the official Accident report over there at Rhein Main when it was released but I never saw any pics either. I'd love to contact Bill Legg. Ask him if he'd mind if you gave out his address(es) would you pls? Sorry about the lack of pics. I'll be looking for some now too. Thnx for the message.

jim summers

Hi Jim,

I remember flying with you on a few trips. Fun times back them @ Rhein Main. Didn't the AC get out a few months after that incident? The photos I saw were after it had been moved to the Navy ramp.

I don't have Billy Legg's address anymore. He was working at the sim @ Pope, but that was a few years ago. Don't know now.

Don R.

Hey, Don

I've got photos somewhere in a box in the attic, I believe. I remember they jacked the plane up and put a ton of honeycomb under the wings in preparation for the crane . . . and for some reason, I think the load was Joe Withers . . . but that was a loooong time ago.

If I remember right (and correct me if I'm wrong) the AC just out of upgrade training and didn't have his 150 hours in the left seat yet and Naples was an AC-only airfield. Billy Legg called go-around on the first try because they were long and hot, and on the second approach, he called it again for the same reason but was ignored. Engines were reversed in excess of 100 knots and all four flamed out. They had 18 pax and five pallets onboard, and the load fought his way to the crew door and kicked it open for them to egress.

One of the photos I have shows someone wrote "bought and paid for by P.S. Bunt" on the nosegear rim.

Lots of fun when the 37th got started again. That first ORI I remember Benny "the Bean" Bennefield trying to hand-prop one of the birds . . . and didn't we have an AC get permission for a windmill taxi start somewhere, but just went ahead and did a three-engine departure?

Sucks getting old, but beats the alternative, I guess.

Kim

Hey, Don

I've got photos somewhere in a box in the attic, I believe. I remember they jacked the plane up and put a ton of honeycomb under the wings in preparation for the crane . . . and for some reason, I think the load was Joe Withers . . . but that was a loooong time ago.

Sucks getting old, but beats the alternative, I guess.

Kim

Kim,

Well, don't just sit there -- get your ass up in the attic!!!

Yeah, the 37th was a lot of fun; especially in 1977/78 when we first started up. I've never met so many insane crewmembers in one squadron!

Don R.

• 2 years later...

KIm, been waiting for those pics from the attic also. I wish I'd taken more pics while I was in the 37th. I saw a note I wrote myself in another journal the other day. It said "on his day Tony Nazario made 5 windmill taxi starts (attempts) at Reggio Calabria. Was that the 3 eng take off you mentioned ? I hadn't remembered Tony till then. mY note may not be factually accurate enuff for a court, but it was fun reading it. Tony's good bud was Ed Mararro. remember him ? He used to introduce himself (speaking like a Scot) in his heavy PR accent as , "Ed Mac Rarro". Wonder where they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, it was Tony. On the last try, he just kept going . . . I'm almost certain his FE was Ron Barnard. As for the pictures, I can't find them. It was many moves ago, and they probably just got tossed. Or maybe my first wife has them . . . she got most everything else :)

What a goofy bunch of folks we were. I'm really surprised, looking back, that we didn't have a weekly article 15 board kind of thing. The crap people did . . .

kim

Kim/Jim,

You guys are bringing up names from the past that I haven't thought of in decades! Remember an FE everyone called Slug? Hollywood Wells? In my 23 1/2 years in the USAF, my all-time favorite commander LtCol Wells?

I'm still in contact with Steve Sullivan & Tim Harkness. Steve works in C-17 training at Scott AFB & owns a bar called Sully's. Go figure.

Don R.

Oh, man . . . the Slug . . . if he's the one I'm thinking of he had, at best, a nodding relationship with personal hygiene. I stabbed him in the hand with my fork one time when he tried to steal some food off my plate. Larry Wagoner, Dan Sonchi (?), Father Mike Mulcahy, Joe Jackson . . . the list goes on. Reprobates, all of them.

kim

Kim,

Send me your email address by PM. I have some photos that you might like. Here's an example; Norm Brander & Chief Grinrod (RUG) at some gathering at the Rhein Main Rod & Gun Club. Both Wing Stan/Eval FE's -- they're probably hatching some plan to terrorize innocent FE's.

Don R.