Personal bio's

DC10FE

Why is it that when I go to check on someone's bio, Mt. crewchief and Larry Meyers have already been there?

Why is it that some people leave their bio's blank? It's easier to reply to a question or a statement when one knows a little about that person.

Don R.

Don, I agree. You might add your name to that group of curious guys! Every time I see a new member or one that I have not seen for a long time I check their "about me" to see if I might have know them at one time. I will never quit looking for old friends and I always like to know about my new friends on the forum!!

I wish everybody on the forum would put a little history of themselves on their bio. I find it fascinating to know what all of you new (and old) guys are doing!

I also would like to see everybody have some pics in their "users gallery" if they have any. I keep loading mine up just to see how many of you look at them and what they are most interested in! I really enjoy looking at old pics of your military life! Casey has done a good job of making this forum easy to use and I thank him for making it possible for me to share my experiences and pictures with people that might be interested!! It is also fun to know the age of some of you "eternally young" guys!!! By the way, most of you guys (in my mind), look just like you did 40+ years ago!!!

Thanks for bringing this up Don.

Ken

I can't speak for Larry though-----I think he's just snooping around!!!! (supposed to be funny)

PS Don, I just checked your Bio. again!!!!!!!

Edited by Mt.crewchief
dinking around

I wish everybody on the forum would put a little history of themselves on their bio. I find it fascinating to know what all of you new (and old) guys are doing!

I also would like to see everybody have some pics in their "users gallery" if they have any.........

Ken

Ken,

I just put an album of Naha pictures (they would only let me put up 25) from 1967-68. Take a look.

Sonny

Edited by Sonny
Computer couldn't spell!! Had to correct it.

Sonny, I just looked at your pics! Good ones!! I have quite a few from the base but not nearly as many from all of the different angles as yours. Is that pic of the barracks from above with the dumpster across the street taken from the gun hill? That is the barracks I lived in from Sept 67 to Mar. 69!

Congratulations on being one of the top 10 crew chiefs for the month of Jan. 1968. I see you were the lowest ranking one of the bunch. That shows that you must have had your shit together!!

Also, did you know the Ssgt. named Buitjen? If so, was his first name Ernie? If so I knew him. Also Glover.

I forgot that there was so many Quonset huts on the base. I stayed in a transit Quonset when I first got to Naha! Also, the mail-room was in one of them also wasn't it??

Keep the pics coming,

Ken

Sonny, I just looked at your pics! Good ones!! I have quite a few from the base but not nearly as many from all of the different angles as yours. Is that pic of the barracks from above with the dumpster across the street taken from the gun hill? That is the barracks I lived in from Sept 67 to Mar. 69!

Congratulations on being one of the top 10 crew chiefs for the month of Jan. 1968. I see you were the lowest ranking one of the bunch. That shows that you must have had your shit together!!

Also, did you know the Ssgt. named Buitjen? If so, was his first name Ernie? If so I knew him. Also Glover.

I forgot that there was so many Quonset huts on the base. I stayed in a transit Quonset when I first got to Naha! Also, the mail-room was in one of them also wasn't it??

Keep the pics coming,

Ken

Ken,

Glad you liked them. I know I have some more and a few from Ubon. Knew Glover in passing. Think he was in the 35th. Peffer, Warnick, Howell and I were in the 21st. I was the only Sgt. crewing in the 21st while I was there. All the rest were Staff and above. Yes, the mail room was in a quonset hut near the flight line if I remember correctly. Some of them were used as classrooms for the schools.

Sonny

topbolts,

For Sonny's new pics you go to his profile and scroll down until you see "Sonny's Album) Click on the Naha Pictures and there they will be.

I posted mine in the users gallery. I guess I didn't know there was another way!

Ken/Topbolts,

Just added a Ubon album. Wish I had taken more but seems like I never had enough time to take pictures at Ubon.

Sonny

How do you change your bio? The edit button doesn't seem to work.

herky130fe,

Go to your bio page and under the column "Basic Information" click on the icon next to the item you want to edit and you will get a pop up screen to make your changes. Be sure to save it after you are done.

Hope his helps,

Sonny

Sonny, looks like some of your photos are a little washed out, perhaps due to the l o n g time since they were taken. I can clean them up a bit in PhotoShop if you like. Doesn't take long. Here are a couple of examples:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2419[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2420[/ATTACH]

I could kick myself for not taking pictures during my service time. I've got a few but some old 8mm movie film of C130's on the flightline during operation Nickle Grass in 1973 was left to rot in my mothers garage. Anyone have any pics of Tan Son Nhut in the early 1970's?

I have a few pictures that I took while in SEA, and as soon as I find them I will post them. Only one of me, and I think it is up already. I was the guy with the camera so none of me. But what has haunted me for 45 years is the fact that upon rotating back to the States I left my camera and a good dozen rolls of pictures in the hotel room in Taipia. What is done is done, but that has hurt for all these years......chris

Chris,

I know what you mean. When I left Clark in 1967, I sorta had to sneak out of the house while my girlfriend was at work. Left 18 months worth of photos in 3 or 4 shoe boxes of everywhere I had been in SEA. Bummer.

Don R.

common story, i guess. I had a camera bag and probably eight rolls of exposed film "liberated' by one of our "comrades" while I was tryin' to get a damn howitzer out the back of the plane so they could defend THEIR country. It was hangin' on the upper seat support, left side, just forward of the paratroop door. That was my ridin' position most times.......boy I woulda busted a check ride for that!!!!!!!!!Anyway, I didn't realize it until we got back to NKP. Didn't get another camera, etc, for what ever reason, i don't know. Sure as hell wish I did.......That's why it is so good to see what some of the rest of you post.

Giz

Don't know if this fits in with this thread or not, but I wonder about something. When I left the Air Force in 1967 I left bitter (no need to explain), and tried not to think of it for the next 40 years. However, that C-130 and two tours in SEA were never far away. Now that I'm retired and have time for research and time for web sites like this one I find that those years and especially that C-130 are, have always been, part of me. I love that airplane, and I think of all those hours I devoted to it, sometimes so tired I could barely stand up, and today I'd trade just about anything for a half hour flight in a Herk. Like Giz said awhile back; now I know how those WWII guys felt about thier B-17, B -24, etc. Just feeling a little maudalin tonight I guess....Chris

Chris, I know what you mean. Thinking back on it I think we left pieces of our youth in various places in the world. But all of those places and experiences are tied to one aircraft; the C130E. To this day, when my grandchildren see a 130 in the air they say "There goes grandpas airplane"