Retired - Finally

I'm sorry I didn't post this when it happened on September 1st, 2011, but I've been off the board for awhile.

I am finally retired from the Air Force! By finally, I mean I took the long road. I started in the Army back in 83, got out after Desert Storm, went Army Guard, then Air Guard, then back on active duty in the Air Force. I made MSgt in '09, and waited until my commitment was up after transferring my GI Bill to Son #1. (Whew! Wears me out just typing it!) Anyway, my last four years and change was as a Herk FE at Dyess in the 40th. All of the FEs are in the 39th or on to new aircraft by now I hear, however. I can consider myself one of the last FEs in that squadron. (It doesn't help on a job app however!)

So, I'll try to start showing up a bit more around here. Just wanted to post the news.

Mark

"I'm sorry I didn't post this when it happened on September 1st, 2011, but I've been off the board for awhile.

I am finally retired from the Air Force! By finally, I mean I took the long road. I started in the Army back in 83, got out after Desert Storm, went Army Guard, then Air Guard, then back on active duty in the Air Force. I made MSgt in '09, and waited until my commitment was up after transferring my GI Bill to Son #1. (Whew! Wears me out just typing it!) Anyway, my last four years and change was as a Herk FE at Dyess in the 40th. All of the FEs are in the 39th or on to new aircraft by now I hear, however. I can consider myself one of the last FEs in that squadron. (It doesn't help on a job app however!)

So, I'll try to start showing up a bit more around here. Just wanted to post the news.

Mark

You went about it the long way, but you did it congratulations on a job well done. Thank you

Thanks a bunch guys! I'm still looking for work, so the Lockheed lead is definitely interesting. Just the same, it's nice to have all that time behind me, and the memories are something only us vets can really understand. You all know what I mean!

Mark

Big Congratulations Mark. Just a tip. Hang on to any paperwork you have with your name on it proving your service, where you were etc. It might appear frivolus to keep that stuff but it may prove invaluable when you hit my age and have to prove to the government you were where you say you were.

Thanks for your service and good luck with future endevors. From one Herk Guy to another

Keith

heed Sparks' words, mark. as you can probably tell from some of the posts here, weng old guys can tellyou there is no such thing as an unimportant piece of paper, especially when you need documentation. I sure hope the guys today from Iraq, Afghanistan, etc keep their stuff...........they, too, will be old one day. Hard copy all the way, copied if possible, stored somewhere, like a safe deposit box, or registered in your localcounty court house, if they do such a thing...............

I have been retired for two years now,and recommend it highly, provided you stay active and busy, which probably is not hard to do. my wife will retire next April, then I may reconsider my position

No kidding on the paperwork guys! I got out of the Army after Desert Storm, and although I didn't "retire" then, I got the paperwork thing down pat! I'm sort of a hoarder anyway, though not as bad as those nut cases you see on reality TV! Back in '82 before I enlisted I knew a WWII vet that gave me the paperwork speech. He served from WWII through Vietnam, and if there was one thing I got from him that stuck, it was that paperwork speech. After 28 years in active, guard, and reserve, and being married for 23 years even my wife knows not to mess with my military stuff! (She was in for a few years, so she knows the deal too!)

Many thanks guys!

Mark