photo

gizzard

After some rooting around, I have found some evidence that this pic may be real, as far as the tag, etc goes. A couple of places I have found shows, possibly, such an arrangement, . Dan had convinced me that definition is not necessarily related to time of the photo. I'd still be interested in hearing other thoughts, but I do admit I may have been over-skeptical.

Giz

I think it's legit, Branch of service would have been an Eagle globe and anchor ironed on the left pocket {under the name tape} He has no rank insignia and his uniform is not too salty looking yet. I would guess this young man has only recently finished boot camp and infantry training giving him that classic "What have I got myself into" expression.

I'm thinkin' many of us would have had that look at one time or other. I do genuinely hope this is a real photo from way back when, and I am more and more inclined to believe it may be. I hope, if it is,that MR. RC got home safe, and has had a good life. He certainly earned it!!!!!

That one Jeep don't look like our Jeeps.

I don't remember seeing Jungle Boots or Camo uniforms till 66.I see none there.

That rifel don't look like an M16 to me.

I see Mel on the right in front of that Jeep with a white strip over his right pocket and something shiney on or over his left pocket

and a soft cap on.

I can't get the picture big enough to see it real good.

Speaking of that photo, I just don't think it is what is posted about it! I admit I am no expert on uniforms etc. , especially 1965 Marine uniforms, so I got a Marine buddy and an Army buddy together (at work of course) and we got on the computer and went over all of the uniforms of that era and none of us could find anything that looked anything like that particular one in the photo. My Marine friend pointed out that the Marine insignia over the left pocket is always stenciled on and any name is on the back of the jacket or shirt inside the neck/collar line. My Army friend said he has never seen anything like that either. Also, what is that leather looking thing that is by his hands? We thought it might be a muzzle cover for an M-14 (Marine issue --that era) but all we could find were canvas ones. None of us could turn it into a Colt 45 ACP holster either!!

That being said, none of us will call a "bullshit" on the photo!

As you mentioned above, Plausible!!!

Ken