Wife vs C-130

tinwhistle

Hate to make you guys feel bad, but living here near Dobbins ARB / Lockheed, I can OD on sights and sounds of the Herk anytime I need a Herk Fix!! :) Bill

I hope you get athlete's foot and your cat gets constipated!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is not fair!!!!!!! The damn DoD took away my Herk fixes when they put FRED's at Martinsburg, and took the Herks away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My life has not been the same since!!!!!!!!!!

LMAO!!!!

Giz

Don, I know what ya mean...Since I rode the back of the bus, I was not well educated in such things, but it always seemed to me that the P3 had the same, or nearly so, engines, and so on as the herk except they were upside down. I was around them a fair amount when we would go to Torrejon or Rota, and they sounded the same on engine start, taxi, take off all that.........Maybe my mememory ain't accurate after 40 years, but that's how I recall it I used to be able to tell an "A" from an "E" by the sound, too...That Guppy looked like it had about a 100 knot headwind, it was chugging along so slow, on a heading of about 250-280.

The best that I can recall is that the P-3 has the same T-56 engine, with a different dash number (-14?) but gearbox mounted upside down (?). Probably to better keep salt spray out of the intake. But what do I know? I'm not a swabbie....

I guess I'll jump in here. I retired out of Eglin AFB, Florida and have lived in Crestview for 20 years. Eglin main is located 20 or so miles south west, Hurlbert field about 25 miles south west, Duke field and the Army special forces base are 10 miles south. I get to see F15's, F16's, Blackhawk helios, A10 warthogs, and hope to see the F35 flying soon. Every one of these aircraft get my attention, but none can compare with the sight, sound and (if I'm really lucky) smell of the C-130's flying low and slow over my house, shaking my windows during the day or in the dead of night.

I am so damn lucky, I can't stand it. What a life !

The best that I can recall is that the P-3 has the same T-56 engine, with a different dash number (-14?) but gearbox mounted upside down (?). Probably to better keep salt spray out of the intake. But what do I know? I'm not a swabbie....

George,

Don't know about the P-3, but the Electra has a D501D-13 engine, whereas the Herc has a D501-22A engine.

One time when I was in the 37th, I was broke at Sigonella and had a Navy engine mech helping me change something on the gearbox. He told me that my engine was upsidedown comapred to his P-3. I took him over to a P-3 and told him to look up in the main gear wheelwell and tell me what he saw. What he saw was the TD amplifier facing down with "No Step" stenciled on it. I rest my case!

Don R.

• 4 months later...

Wow! I sure know about running outside upon hearing the sounds of those C-130 Allison engines! And I've made that very same observation about the engines being basically the same on the P-3s! I grew up as a dependant on the Rock and then went into the Army and flew quite a bit on Herks. I have always slept better hearing the throaty growl of C-130 engines, even to this day. The only other aircraft engine that can get me out of my seat in a flash is the sound of one or more WASP radial engines... Just something about those sounds that says, sleep well tonight. You are safe.

As an aside on that last remark, if you haven't already, you should check out the YouTube video, 4 fans of freedom! Great stuff!

I get to see one once in while, I think some of boys from pope fly up to the west end of the state every now and then. I have seen them shootin touch and go's out at the Asheville airport now and then. I was heading out for work the other day, and I'm going down the street out to the main road, and I heard a herky overhead so I stop on a dime throw the car up into park and jump out looking up, now I know all my neigbors must have thought I was crazy. BUT IT WAS A HERKY BIRD.......I had to look.

Its in the blood