IRON LUNG Power source

1685FCC

Hey all, been awhile since I've posted, but I got something for you all. A few of us Engineer types were sitting around shooting the "sheet" and we got on the topic about the IRON LUNG system. Now someone brought up and wandered what the actual power source for that system is? Do any of you out there in HERKY land know the answer to this and could point me in the direction of reading material? Much appreciated!

Dave

I just read this, and my mind dredged up a image of a plug on the cargo compartment wall, on the 60's model E's I flew, I think forward of the hydraulic pump on the right side, but I could be wrong. It had a label, something' like "IRON LUNG". I recall bein' told it was intended to be used for transporting missiles, or something like that. Never used it, can't ever remember (what's new there?) it bein' on a preflight inspection checklist or any mention in the loading (-9?) manuals. Just tryin' to keep some brain cells workin'.

Giz

I can remember living in fear of those things. I was one of the first kids in mineral county, WV to get the Salk vaccine. when it came out initially. I had a cousin who contracted the disease, ironically, because my aunt and uncle refused, even though they had five boys, to allow them to get the shots. He survived, but is crippled to this day .It must have been really difficult for your sister and family. Was the connection on the plane intended for transport of these patients???

Not trying to hijac the thread but on a C-141 air evac out of Yokota had a young man in a partal lung, (from neck to waist). He was on a dedicated electrical bus seperate from the other buses. They got into a bad thunder storm and lost power to the system buses because the engines were stalling from injesting hail.They were down to one generator at a time providing power but managed to keep his bus powered. I don't know who was scared the most, the flight crew or the people in the back. They went back to Yokota with a lot of damage to the aircraft.

Edited by Bill Barnes

Never saw an Iron lung used on a Herk but I have hooked up several LOX carts and baby sat a few in flight. We carried them when we went into austere airfields while doing ORI and ORE's. Carried two a few times as they were "Tee'ed" together then to the overboard vent. Only did this at Dobbins thru the years. Don't ever remember doing it on active duty. Bill

How about the Lox cart vent cap. Does anyone remember the location, i would check each preflight to see if the cap was on. But i never seen a lox cart on the plane in the many years i work them..........

It's right around FS 655 on the left side behind the insulation...maybe WL 174-ish. This would be aft of the left main gear well.