nose wheel wobbling

apexlined

Nose wheel shimmy or in your case wobbling can be caused by several things. Mainly the culprit is nose tires that are damaged, out of round, etc. Normally a thorough inspection of all steering components, NLG trunnion, torque arms (scissors), wheel bearings will reveal anything out of the ordinary; however, 9 times out of 10 I've seen changine nose tires fixes the problem. As for limitations, there really isn't any. You know when you go to take off if something is abnormal or not when you have a nose shimmy. It feels like your about ready to vibrate right out of the seat! When you can't even see the instruments because your eye balls are all over the place, you tend to think this isn't normal. Good Luck with your issue!

Dave

• 11 months later...

As 168FCC says he's 100% correct. again I have seen NLG trunion bushing bad. This seems to be the last resort..other that changing the entire NLG, BUT usually all it takes is a tire change with GOOD tire bearings.If bearings were not seated correctly this may cause the problem as well. It's a trial and error procedurs.

I have seen many people change nose tires and think that they fixed the problem because the next crew didn't think it was serious enough to write it up. If you have different crews flying the plane, they all seem to be concerned about different problems and not all of them get documented. It is only after a nose wheel shimmy gets bad that everyone complains.

There is also the fact that a shimmy does not necessarily show up on every landing. Runway surface and condition can initiate a shimmy. A different runway with different conditions may not initiate it, so we call the problem "fixed" when it actually is not. Also, the pressure on the nose wheels can contribute to whether or not the shimmy happens.

We are fooled into thinking we fixed it with new nose tires when it does not happen on the next flight.

I've seen a lot of wasted nose tires when the problem was air in the steering actuators and worn scissors bushings or rod ends. Of course, the tires are easy to change, so ...........

• 2 months later...