Sumit 38 - 17 years have gone by, Always Remembered, Never Forgotten!

herkfixer

17 years ago today "Sumit 38" crashed in Idaho. It is hard to believe its been that long ago.

Always Remembered, Never Forgotten are:

LTC Bob Buckhout A/C

2nd Lt Lance Dougherty Co-Pilot

Capt. Geoffrey Boyd Nav

CMSgt Jimmie Vail FE

MSgt Jay Kemp LM

SSgt Mike Scheidman LM

Rex

Sumit 38 was 62-1838, c/n [cn]3801[/cn], C-130E, Peterson (302nd AW, AFRES) got it from Selfridge (AFRES).

The crash site is North of Bliss, Idaho, #2 engine turbine departed and went up through the dry bay, creating a left wing seperation.

Rex

• 2 weeks later...

Sumit 38 was 62-1838, LPN 3801, C-130E, Peterson (302nd AW, AFRES) got it from Selfridge (AFRES).

The crash site is North of Bliss, Idaho, #2 engine turbine departed and went up through the dry bay, creating a left wing seperation.

Rex

Thanks Rex. The reason I asked was I was the crew chief on 838 from the summer of 1966 to late 1968. We were part of the 36th TAS at Langley. 838 was one of the first acft. recieved as the wing begain acquiring acft. Not for sure but believe we recieved 838 from the MAC wing at McGuire. Bob will know for sure. 838 was, for me, a good bird, flying when called upon. She and I traveled many different places in North and South America, Europe, North Africa, Russia and Southwest Asia. I think the highlight was evacuating refugees from Amman, Jordan after the 67 Israel/ Arab war. Don't remember the count, but well over 100. People on the ramp door. As everyone boarded over the ramp the LM and I made sure they left thier only belongings on the taxiway behind the aircraft. Made for quite a large pile. We flew them to Tehran and we flew on to Athens were we sat for a week while the big guys figured out what to do with us. Eventually we returned to Mildenhall and then on to Langley.

I crewed four different aircraft over a period of 14 years. To the best of my knowledge all of them, except 838, made it to AMARC. Makes me a little sad to learn one of them failed and killed a crew.

• 1 month later...

Hi, my name is Chris. I was stationed at Mt. Home in '95 when SUMIT38 crashed and was on the recovery crew. Learning of Bob, Geoff, Lance, Chief, Jay and Michael has become a big part of my life. While my family is from California, I happened to have accidentally become friends with Michael's sister after the crash, and my sister, by chance, now lives only a few blocks from her.

My condolences to the friends and other family of the crew and to the maintenance crew that maintained 1838. If anyone ever wants to get in touch, my email is mrpexx(at)gmail.com

Best,

Chris

I remember this well. I was deployed to Khobar at the time. About a week or two after this crash, we had a turbine come apart on us. At the time, nobody was certain what caused Sumit 38's turbine failure, so we were wondering if there was a rash of bad 2-3 turbine bearing spacers out there...

RIP to the crew of Sumit 38. Not forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was in Colorado Springs on 4 August 2012 for the "Re-Dedication of the Sumit 38 Memorial"

These photos were taken the night before.

A very, very good ceremony by SMSgt David Carey and Lt Col. Rich Stout (retired).

Lots of people in attendance from back in the day, lots of new folks their to pay their respects.

Lots of family members.

73, Rex

• 7 months later...

For me I remember all to well as I worked the aircraft. I can attest its no fun being under the microscope when the investigation team roles through. Chief was my fathers student back in the day on 124s at RG.

Jimmie Vail was my stan eval examiner when I got my FE wings at Richards-Gebaur before the move to Pete field. He was a tough examiner, but he passed me anyway!!! Here's to Jimmie and all the FE's that had a hand in bringing me along....Charlie Strader, Jimmy Watkins, Lee Luft, Billy Joe Chapman, Les Young, Dan Morford, Pierre Morris, and of course my best bud, Butch Case. Sorry I can't list everybody, but I have great memories of my time there. Even though I went on to fly C-5's and KC-10's my time at R-G on the 130's was the best!

• 1 month later...

17 years ago today "Sumit 38" crashed in Idaho. It is hard to believe its been that long ago.

Always Remembered, Never Forgotten are:

LTC Bob Buckhout A/C

2nd Lt Lance Dougherty Co-Pilot

Capt. Geoffrey Boyd Nav

CMSgt Jimmie Vail FE

MSgt Jay Kemp LM

SSgt Mike Scheidman LM

Rex

18 years in just a few days... wishing my best to my friend Carol Scheideman (Mike's sister), Ruth Kemp, with whom I have corresponded, all the rest of the families, and to all of you on here who knew the crew...

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone who posted on this site. I am the "Chief's" oldest daughter. First of all, Happy Veteran's Day to all of you. Obviously Dad is on my mind today which is how I found this site. To read your words of remembrance of Dad has brought tears to my eyes as I can tell you have good memories of him or others who died on that mission. I didn't know there was a re-dedication in 2012. I wish I had known so I could be there. Do any of you know if there is anything planned next spring or summer for the 20 year anniversary of this?

• 1 month later...

I remember so many of these guys - Charlie' date=' Lee, Billy Joe, Morford. Thank you for the reminder of these men working with Dad.[/quote']

You might be interested to know that this last weekend (12-13-14), about a dozen of us got together for breakfast and to talk about old times. Lee, Billy Joe, Dan, Butch, and Charlie (Pierre) Morris were there. Billy Joe is 83! Charlie Strader lives in Georgia. Glad you were able to find this site. It's a good reminder of your dad and the others on Sumit 38.

• 1 year later...

I was the Loadmaster on this aircraft May 12,1968 which flew into Kham Duc for an evacuation mission. It was then that it was tagged as the "Lucky Duc". We were very fortunate to get out of Kham Duc as other aircraft weren't as lucky. I am so sorry for the family's of the crew that were lost in the final flight of this plane in Idaho. My prayers are with you all.

image.jpeg