64-14854

jsiap

I was just wondering if anyone had any historical knowledge of Acft 64-14854. I am currently DCCing her, my second and third wipe would like to use her old name or use the history behind it to create a new one. The historian over here hasn't really come up with anything.

Thanks

854 was stationed at Hickam AFB, HI with Air Force Systems Command with the 6594th Test Group.

It was there with JC-130B's, HC-130H's, and HC-130P's.

854 was designiated as an HC-130H, basically an E model with -15 engines, and with the recovery system installed in the cargo compartment.

The mission of the 6594th Test Group was to recover satellite capsules that were ejected and returned to earth. the B & H models had an aerial

recovery system that would catch the parachute in-flight then winch it into the cargo compartment.

Can't remember if the HC-130H's had an additional lox converter installed on them or not, if so the servicing port was located in forward fairing of the Rt MLG.

And the lox convertor was up in the Rt MLG.

Also above that in the Rt MLG was an ARS (aerial recovery system) ATM that ran a large hydraulic pump that supplied pressure to the aerial recovery system.

The P models and HH-53 helicopters were part of the surface recovery force, just in case a parachute failed to open/malfunction.

I was stationed at Hickam from 1981 to 1983 and worked on 854 on occasion, was assigned to a P model then got my own B model.

Here is a link to see what the recovery system looked like in-flight, this is on one of the B models, but 854 had one similiar to this.

73, Rex

Got some hours on her at Hickam. Was converted into a JHC-130H, along with 2 others, for the Hickam mission. Originally an HC so I believe it had the 2 LOX converters.

Standard mission protocol was to launch a telemetry bird that flew to Elmendorf tracking the satellite and a weather bird with a weather officer on board to check the weather down range. Then a P model and HH-53 towards the recovery area, and 5 recovery birds. A P model was kept in reserve and launched later for HH-53 assistance.

The recovery birds got 1 shot at the recovery. If they missed or didn't get lined up properly, then the next in line would try, etc. Once winched on-board, only the rear riggers and the Nav saw the satellite as it was put into a sealed metal container and loaded onto a C-141 upon landing and off to California.

Only mission that really stands out in my mind was a weather recon mission I had on a B model. Ended up changing the recovery area 3 times, back and forth downrange and farther downrange, before the weather was good enough. Barely made it back to Hickam with the remaining fuel.

I am missing something here and could use some help.

Three HC-130H's 64-14854, 857, 858 were converted to JHC-130H's. Did they actually serve as HC-130H's before they were converted? If they did were they painted in standard Rescue colors, yellow stripe and all and would anyone have pictures of them like that for the Gallery?

Second I can only find 3 P's and an N not 5 P's at Hickam then. 66-0223,0225,65-0992 and N 69-5832. Any help on the other 2 P's?

I have found pics of almost all the Hickam aircraft painted up as Falling Star aircraft except 58-0716, 58-0756, 69-5832 can anyone help?

Thanks

Bob

Can't help you with the question on the JHC-130H's before their time with the Test Group.

The second question the 3 "P" models were as you have listed 65-0992, 66-0223 & 66-0225.

69-5832 was borrowed when one of the "P" models was away for depot/corrosion control, so it never really belonged

to the Test Group, therefore was never painted up with the "Falling Star".

58-0716 was a Test Group B model, but 58-0756 does not ring a bell, I never saw it or even heard that tail number mentioned

among us mx troops.

Maybe George can help out.

Hope this makes the picture a little more clearer.

73, Rex

Can't remember all the tail numbers of the Bs right now, just a few, 526, 527, 528, 962. Don't know why these 4 stand out, and maybe I got them wrong. CRS you know. The Ps look right. Only 3 P models assigned. The N was borrowed as Herkfixer said. The N model was primo. Had the reclining FE seat. Was told that when it got back to McCellan that the first thing that was checked was the FE seat to make sure it hadn't been swapped out!

Bob, not sure where the HC/Hs were before Hickam. Before my time there so I can't comment on their previous assignments or paint schemes.

In all my moves, etc., I now can't find my log books that I kept on dates, times, tail numbers, missions, cargos, etc. Bummer. Maybe the ex got those in the divorce as well!

jsiap, sorry to send this thread in different direction, hopefully others will add to the history of 854.

Here are the list of Test Group 130's as I remember them when I was stationed there.

JC-130B's

57-0526

57-0527

57-0528

57-0529

58-0713

58-0716

58-0717

58-0750

61-0962

HC/JC-130H

64-14854

64-14857

64-14858

HC-130P

65-0992

66-0223

66-0225

All of the B models in the gallery except as mentioned by Bob (58-0716) are shown with the "Falling Star" paint scheme. I know that 58-0716 was part of the

TG as I was Crew Chief on it.

I'll look for some pictures.

73, Rex

Back to the start of the thread. It seems like after Hickam, 854 went to the Utah Snatch bunch and became an NC130H for awhile and was transferred in 1986 to the 53 WRS at Keesler as an HC130H. Basically as a trash hauler. In 1989 it was modified to an HC130P, and went to AETC at Kirtland.

In 1994, it went to 9 SOS at Eglin and in about 1996 was redesignated an MC-130P. Back in 2001 it had a nickname, "Big Papa". in 2009 it went to 67 SOS and is still there. (From Lars)

Bob

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is an Official list of Aircraft assigned to the 6594th Test Group:

C-130/HH-53/H-3/H-21 Delivery/Transfer Dates

MDS SN FM Lost TO

C-130B 57-00526 May 60 AFLC Jul 86 Hill AFB

C-l30B 57-00527 Unk Unk Jul 86 AFR

C-130B 57-00528 Unk Unk Jul 86 ANG

C-l30B 57-00529 May 59 PON Oct 84 AFLC

C-130B 58-00713 Unk Unk Jul 86 AFR

C-l30B 58-00716 Jul 83 TAC Mar 85 Hill AFB

C-130B 58-00717 Unk Unk Jul 86 AFR

C-130B 58-00750 Unk Unk Jul 86 AFR

C-1303 61-00962 Unk Unk Jul 86 ANG

HC-130H 64-14854 Unk Unk Jun 86 MAC

HC-130H 64-14857 Sep 65 AFLC Jul 86 Hill AFB

HC-130H 64-14858 Unk Unk Jun 86 MAC

HC-l30P 65-00992 Unk 74 MAC Jun 86 MAC

HC-l30P 66-00223 Unk 74 MAC Jun 86 MAC

HC-130P 66-02225 Unk 74 MAC Jun 86 MAC

Were the HC-130Hs used for recovery missions?

Yes, but the crews did not like to use them as "primary" birds. The "B" models were used the most. They did not have the external tanks and allowed for "slipping" them easier for the "catch". Kind of a sports car versus a van.

On a true mission the aircraft would line up for the catch usually all the "B" models first, then the "HC's" next.

If an "HC" caught the package then ALL the "B's" missed, not likely to happen!

73, Rex

Edited by herkfixer
Add text

Yes, but the crews did not like to use them as "primary" birds. The "B" models were used the most. They did not have the external tanks and allowed for "slipping" them easier for the "catch". Kind of a sports car versus a van.

On a true mission the aircraft would line up for the catch usually all the "B" models first, then the "HC's" next.

73, Rex

They were designated as JHC-130Hs while in the test group and the HC-130Ps were never used for recovery, only refueling, correct?

They were designated as JHC-130Hs while in the test group and the HC-130Ps were never used for recovery, only refueling, correct?

Casey correct. The P's didn't have the recovery gear installed. They would have had to remove the Benson tank to install the gear. Plus install an ATM for the recovery winch.

73, Rex

Was in a B model for the weather bird once. Ended up changing the drop area 3 times due to weather. Which meant flying over to each one for recon. Nothing like having a pucker factor going on the way back in to Hickam constantly checking the fuel quantity. Don't recall how far downrange we ended up going but it was a lot farther than planned.

Can't forget the camera buttons for the FEs.

Casey correct. The P's didn't have the recovery gear installed. They would have had to remove the Benson tank to install the gear. Plus install an ATM for the recovery winch.

I figured as much but as we all know, the 130 world has been know to do some crazy sh....stuff....

I don't remember them being referred to as "JHC-130H" just "HC-130H" the MDS for ordering parts was always "HC-130H".

The HC-130P's were part of the "surface recovery group" HH-53's for rotary wing support.

When I got to the Test Group they were removing all of the Fulton Recovery Equipment from the "P's".

73, Rex