USAF Personnel Records

tinwhistle

For what it's worth: There is a lot of conversation concerning individual military records and I just recieved some very interesting records. A few months ago I sent a request to the National Personnal Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis MO., 63132-5100, asking for all records they had on me; in fact the words I used were, any piece of paper or document that had my name on it. An amazing amount of paper just arrived. It certainly isn't everything generated by the A.F., but there are a number of documents that are absolutely facinating! My original enlistment papers, several performance evaluations, etc. There is even the personal letter from Major Edward J. Sullivan stating that he knows me personally, recommending me for early promotion to E-5, ahead of my contemporaries! Anyway, you guys keep on looking, I can't help but think that your records are out there somewhere!!

Chris

Chris,

I requested all of my personal records and my medical records a year or so ago and received two large envelopes of of records--some which I had never seen. I had APR's from everywhere I had been and was very pleased with what the people said about me. I also received my medical records which showed where I was put on "noise free duty" due to a hearing loss at Naha.

But, some of the records that I was really interested in seeing such as flight records etc. and my Physiological Training for Blind Bat (altitude chamber etc.) were missing!

Maybe I should have done what you did and asked for any records with my name on them. Maybe I would have gotten some more stuff!! Do you think there is more info out there???

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm reasonably sure that there is a pile of documents out there somewhere on each of us. The U.S.A.F. was and is, I'll bet, paranoid when it comes to record keeping. There is two big "however's" though; one is finding the correct depository for said records, the other is that fire out in Kansas City several years ago. For many years now I've gotten conflicting story's as to whether or not there was A.F. records stored there and if so there is variations to the story as to the time frame covered in those records. Depends on who you talk to on any given day!

I agree with you Ken , I'd dearly love to get my hands on things like flight records, maintanance records, incident reports, etc. The more I dig into it the more I find that there are many, many places where records are kept and I need to get lucky , find the correct place and then get even more lucky and have the right person fill my request!

Good hunting my friend!!

Chris

Ok! I know I have said this before and I will now say it again for the young troops. If you get a copy of any paper work while you are in the AF keep it. I have seen and heard of so many trying prove this and that for the whom ever for what ever. Keep the paper work. There is only one kind and only one kind that I would not keep. I think you all can figure which one that is.

Ok! I know I have said this before and I will now say it again for the young troops. If you get a copy of any paper work while you are in the AF keep it. I have seen and heard of so many trying prove this and that for the whom ever for what ever. Keep the paper work. There is only one kind and only one kind that I would not keep. I think you all can figure which one that is.

What he said!!!!!

It hasn't mattered (so far), but I very stupidly tossed out my Form 5 about 8 years ago. Kinda wish I had kept it - might have made proving I was in RVN easier (I did manage to prove it to the VA). Plus I could have looked at the various tail numbers I flew on...... sigh... oh well, it's long gone now...

"Document everything" was drilled into my head.

My dad kept most things - then my mom kept everything after that. She has given me my father's records.

There are two operations though - that he had secret squirrel clearance for - and I have not been able to find any info on them.

Apparently, NPRC in St. Louis does have microfilms of the Forms 5, but because we all went to SSAN for our ID numbers, the microfilm is not available. The center doesn't have the manpower to research/copy the information and we aren't allowed to go in to find our own, because others' SSANs would then be compromised. So - the information is there, but we can't get it. At least that's what I was told. I'd sure like to have my Form 5!

I'd sure like to have my Form 5!

I got my whole FEF when I retired - I think I did at least, will have to look for it next time I am wading through the piles of paperwork. I do know I have my Flight Records folder when I outprocessed, I was shocked that they didnt keep that as its the source doc for my wings and just about everything else to do with my flying career.

That bastard folder dont fit in any of the boxes or drawers right, its like 9X12 and just dont fit anywhere.

Apparently, NPRC in St. Louis does have microfilms of the Forms 5, but because we all went to SSAN for our ID numbers, the microfilm is not available. The center doesn't have the manpower to research/copy the information and we aren't allowed to go in to find our own, because others' SSANs would then be compromised. So - the information is there, but we can't get it. At least that's what I was told. I'd sure like to have my Form 5!

I'd be surprised if they do since flight records aren't personnel records. When I got out of the Air Force, they gave me the entire record. Unfortunately, I left it in the attic of a house in Virginia when we moved out. I'm sort of surprised to hear that people got so much information. All I got from the NPRC when I asked for all of my records was stuff I already had in the personnel record they gave me when i got out.

I got my whole FEF when I retired - I think I did at least, will have to look for it next time I am wading through the piles of paperwork. I do know I have my Flight Records folder when I outprocessed, I was shocked that they didnt keep that as its the source doc for my wings and just about everything else to do with my flying career.

That bastard folder dont fit in any of the boxes or drawers right, its like 9X12 and just dont fit anywhere.

Dan, wings for enlisted men were nothing but a badge. You could wear them as long as you were on aeronautical orders or until you had been on flying status for a specified amount of time (I think it was three years.) Or, they became permanent after ten combat missions. When they became permanent, a set of orders was published awarding them and the orders went into your personnel record. Officers, on the other hand, were given an aeronautical rating as either pilot or navigator.

Ok help the CRS memory. Whats a forms 5? Have a good one yall.

That would be your flight record, showin', among other things, aircraft type and tail number, number of hours, type of mission, that sort of thing........Big old white and green tractor paper sheets is what my ONE remaining is. don't know what they use today

giz

Dan, I was right. the Form 8 is aerial activity record, the form 8 is the check ride stuff. I have my folder right in front of me, It includes Form 942..Record of Evaluations, Form 8's, Certificate of aircrew qualification , My aeronautical orders, and orders awarding me the basic aircrew badge for 10 combat missions, AF 1042, flight physicals, AF 702 Physiological Training certificate, and then a series of TAC form 8's also designated AF 846, which has the check ride forms. My form 5 is flight hours, etc.

giz

Shit, Dan, ain't none of us old farts that don't experience this stuff. Who woulda thought it??? Now, how did i remember this, well about two weeks ago I was clearin' some stuff out and came up with these forms. hell's fire, THREE weeks ago i would not have remembered what they were. One question I got, maybe somebody can help out on this, why, of all the records we had on us, did we get this one when we got out????? As critical as it could be in certain circumstances, it would be re4latively easy, especially with today's technology, to engineer it into 'bout anything!!!!

Giz

Hey Gizzard,

Well..............in 1970's we didn't have technology like we have today. Quick QT. I can't find the guy who was talking about the 37th today, any chance of finding him again? Also where is the post for the 316 TAW reunion? Can't find it.

Tango Bravo

go to private email, Tango bravo, and give me your email address and i'll forward the stuff to you. there is also a 316th TAW thing on facebook, providin' ya know how to use it I think was was tinwhistle who had the inquiry about the 37th..........

Giz

• 4 weeks later...

Whats the name of the two operations? We may be able to shed some light - or we may not, who knows unless you ask.

Capstan Dragon III - it was from Clark to Kwang Ju, Korea

The other one I have found more on - My Googl Fu has improved. It was for Operation Liberty Canyon.

Sadly the most information I have found is a bunch of paintball nerds dressing up and playing war.