Eight bladed LC-130H

Scramble

You probably saw one of the LCs that was modded with the NP2000 props and new electronic gear box. This is pretty much the same set up the Navy is using on their E-2s. From what I remember, the LCs were looking for more power on the ICE due to being unable to source RATO (JATO) bottles for when they take-off in the Antartic. Not sure if they fully bought off on doing their entire fleet in this configuration.

There should be an NP2000 string somewhere on here..big discussion a couple of years back.

Saw that bird while at the airshow this weekend, It's a Hamilton Standard prop on a T56 nacelle. There was a bit of an medical emergency going on the cargo ramp so I didn't have a chance to talk to any of the crew about it.

Edited by hlg6016
I meant T56!

As an astute politician once said not to long ago "our thoughts on that is still evolving"...the old Herk is too, 3 blades then 4, then 6 and now 8. Yep Larry I spent 3 years on the A's and you sure spoke the truth on that. Then again everything is relative, right? ha ha . Bill

• 7 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2012 at 4:06 PM, HeyChief said:

You probably saw one of the LCs that was modded with the NP2000 props and new electronic gear box. This is pretty much the same set up the Navy is using on their E-2s. From what I remember, the LCs were looking for more power on the ICE due to being unable to source RATO (JATO) bottles for when they take-off in the Antartic. Not sure if they fully bought off on doing their entire fleet in this configuration.

There should be an NP2000 string somewhere on here..big discussion a couple of years back.

The NY ANG LC130Hs are all converted now to 8 blade.  They are working on the training birds now.  Shortly they will all be 8 blade.  That makes it easier on us mechanics on parts and equipment to have only one model to fly.  We went from 1000lbs thrust per can to 1200lbs thrust per can.  But they also cost the same numbers in dollars.  That's why we wanted the 8 bladed prop with new engines going on these days. We can get the RATOs just the cost, now jump right off short LZs.

If we can get the electronic fuel control like Navy is R&D on the E2D Super Hawkeye/Greyhounds we will be near the end of mods. Eliminates the coordinator.  The folks are going new dash as fast we can.  Saves about 20 million.  Our birds were 30 million brand new.  With all the mods worth about 50 million.  The J is 72 million. Been to McMurdo 4 times, hoping for one more time like they are now.  Any questions, [email protected].                    Flying Squirrel

V/r 

Trent D. Morris, TSgt USAF

USN converted many legacy acft to NP2000 props as well due to the lack of the 4 balded props because overhaul issues and the production line at Robins coming to a stop until all the revisions (that came out of the investigation of the KC-130T accident) could be incorporated into production.  People don't realize that after that accident, while the USAF continued to fly/operated at elevated risk levels, the USN halted all legacy C-130 ops pending new props etc.  Hence the reason the USN opted to jump to the NP2000 and get back to operating.