AMP

bobdaley

Yes, there are a total of 5. One belonged to St Joe, the other to LRANG. BTW, technically, the program isn't scrapped, it's on hold to see if the USAF can justify scrapping it for something that will be less capable, cost more and take longer to implement. There's wording in the defense budget that was passed by the Senate on this.

I don't recall the tail numbers of those other two, but I'll get them...unless someone else here knows off the top of their head.

Just got this update on AMP.

Bob

I saw your comment on “AMP is scrapped.” Actually it is on hold with the FY13 President’s Budget FY13. We have been visiting a lot of Senators, Congressional people & Governors since January 2012 and it has somewhat paid off as the Senate & House Conference Authorization came out on 12/20 and it still has AMP in the Authorizations and directs USAF to do a study to see what is more cost effective in the Long Term – AMP or a cheap CNS/ATM solution presently flying on some International C-130’s. Next step is the Appropriations Conference and we do not expect that until March 13.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not that I'm aware of.  AFSOC's decision to pull  out of the AMP game is a big reason the whole thing fell apart as we knew it.  Lower number of airplanes to modify only increased the per-tail cost.  Some guy with AFSOC called me a few years ago wondering what AMCs plans were for the 5 at LRF....mentioned interest from AFSOC in grabbing those for whatever reason.  That really set me off in a bad mood!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2017 at 9:59 PM, bobdaley said:

Did an MC-130H also get AMP'd? 87-0125?

Bob

No MC-130H ever did any AMP stuff to my knowledge.  An MC-130E did quite a bit of the TF testing, however, but I don't believe it ever got much installed other than the AMP TF that Boeing was working on with Northrup/241.

Unfortunately the days of the MC-H are probably over. Today it's all about the MC-J Commando II and MV-22 in the long-range infil/exfil role. Although in the Gunship world they'll probably want to keep the Whiskies and U-Boats going for a few more years until they can get the AC-J fully up to speed. I suspect it won't be many more years before it will be an all J fleet in all variants throughout the active AF. And then on to the Guard and Reserve.

AMP? What AMP?   

On 8/24/2017 at 7:59 AM, Metalbasher said:

My understanding is the MC-130J will not be fully capable to replace the MC-130H until late 2019/2020 due to radar upgrades, etc.  But that is dated info so it might have changed and moved up.

I will be very surprised if they make that deadline for MC-J to get TF.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:58 PM, bobdaley said:

Seems like they have not got the MC-130J up to speed yet either.

Don't know what the problem is but I heard that AFSOC is keeping the H's at Kadena because the J was not up to speed and they mentioned the radar?

Bob

Nope.  No TF.

On 8/23/2017 at 8:29 PM, MHeflin said:

Unfortunately the days of the MC-H are probably over.

Latest I heard was the MC-130H is extended to 2025-28, but it all depends on the MC-J getting some form of operable TF radar.   

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2017 at 11:31 PM, US Herk said:

I will be very surprised if they make that deadline for MC-J to get TF.

Nope.  No TF.

Latest I heard was the MC-130H is extended to 2025-28, but it all depends on the MC-J getting some form of operable TF radar.   

Just an FYI, the MCTF radar mod for the MC-J starts this month. Of course it will go through DT&E and OT&E for a few years. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:37 PM, Railrunner130 said:

I keep hearing end of 2019 for a basic ADS-B setup. Not sure where the engine/prop/valve housing upgrades come into play. 

You guys keeping the old Reno airplanes or are they being boneyarded?

The Reno airplanes are now retired...at least the ones we had (0475, 0476)  We have 0324 for a little longer...but not much.