V A Claims

tinwhistle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right Giz. The nation owes your Pap and all those WWII Vets an everlasting debt of gratitude.

The Aleutian Islands were attacked by the Japanese as a way to draw US Navy forces away from Midway and secure a northern outpost to protect Japan from American attack. On June 2, 1942 a Japanese force of two aircraft carriers with 82 planes, two heavy cruisers, three destroyers and an oiler steamed through the foggy North Pacific toward Dutch Harbor. Supporting the task force were Vice Admiral Boshiro Hosogaya's northern force consisting of four cruisers, nine destroyers, and three transports carrying 2,500 Japanese army invasion troops. Submarines screened the fleet. The planes were to strike a paralyzing blow at Dutch Harbor while troops were to land on Adak, Kiska and Attu and occupy these islands.

Early on the morning of June 3, 1942 the planes of the carrier Juyno attacked Dutch Harbor. Attack planes of the carrier Rynjo had lost their bearings in the dense fog and returned to their carrier. The Dutch Harbor attackers were met with heavy antiaircraft fire from the alerted American forces and caused minimal damage. Despite all human courage and mechanical genius, the miserable weather definitely controlled the course of the battle.

I apologize for the long rant, but I could have gone on. Remember, the Japanese probably lost the war at Midway. That battle started on June 4, 1942. Thank your Pap for me Giz

My Dad was up there from March 42 to May of 44. Then he went to Europe for the remainder of his time. he got out in September 45. he went in the Army in september 41and was oversees something 3 years and 4 months. If you are familiar with Engineer Hill up there, you know part of his story. Sad part is I lost Pap Dec 18, 1985, and we never, ever talked to each other about our service. I will regret that 'til the day I die. My fondest memories of him are our rabbit huntin' trips together

Im sorry for your loss. My dad was in the Army during WWII and like yours, never talked much about it. I do fondly remember freezing my a..off at O Dark Thirty sitting on a downed tree in the snow with my dad on the first day of Buck season in Pennsylvania. Freezing at the time but warm memories now