Which Structural Repair Manual?

miamiair

I'll give you my view, and others can comment and add some light to this...

I think the SMP is for Civilian Hercs and TO's for military Hercs.

Here's an example of a difference, for the same leading edge section, a skin repair requires two rows of rivets under the TO, and four rows under the SMP. Why?

I'll give you my view, and others can comment and add some light to this...

I think the SMP is for Civilian Hercs and TO's for military Hercs.

Here's an example of a difference, for the same leading edge section, a skin repair requires two rows of rivets under the TO, and four rows under the SMP. Why?

I will take a guess at that for you: different engineers provided the instructions.

A "typical" repair often calls for two rows of rivets using the closest rivets rows to the repair area as examples for size and pitch and spacing.

An engineered repair takes the metal bearing strength and calculated required rivet size and number based on matching the metal bearing strength with the shear strength of the rivets.

Using those two methods, it is possible to come up with a difference in repair instructions.

My take: SMP can be used for 130s or L 100s at operators discretion, but SMP is generally more conservative in both inspection intervals and repair instructions as it was designed for civil certificated aircraft and Lockheed wanted to minimize liability.