64-0550

DC10FE

Since new members are always joining this site, here's my annual question again. Back in the late 1970's, when the 37th TAS was cranking up at Rhein Main, a C-130, 64-0550 went off the end of the runway at NAS Naples, Italy. It landed at a very high rate of speed and at one time did a 180° and was going down the runway backwards at more than 100 knots. It was in such an attitude that even the tip of one of the horizontal stabs was damaged! I remember the co-pilot's name was Bill Beal and the FE was Billy Legg.

My question; does anyone have any photos of the airplane at Naples? I know there are pics out there -- I've seen them.

Thanks,

Don R.

Don,

I too would like copies IF they are ever found. I also, had a pic at 1 time. The official report was laying around the sqdn for a long time after it came out. Nasty reading. The pilot was Paul Bunt. Last week I wrote to a realtor in CA. named Paul Bunt that I found on the "net". Paul went back to CA. after the 0550 accident. No response yet.

jim s.

Yeah, Jim, that was a career-ender for him. I know that Bill Beal hung around for a while & then went back to Pope, I think. The FE, Billy Legg is retired, of course and the last I heard was a sim instructor at Pope. I dug up his email address a few years ago and asked him about the photos, but he was no help.

Don R.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I had pics, but I can't find them. Paul Bunt supposedly wrote "bought and paid for by P.S. Bunt" on one of the nose gear rims.

I'm trying to remember the name of the guy in the dorm who had a lot of pics of the incident . . . all I can remember right now is he drove a VW bus, he was an FE, considered himself the "Daddy" of the dorm, and Father Mike Mulcahy used to threaten to whip his butt on a monthly basis . . .

kim